PDA

View Full Version : how long after a shed before eating??

how long after a shed before eating??

jasbus
03-04-2007, 06:24 PM
Ok, I've looked and looked, and have experienced this in the past also, but I'm starting to get a little worried. Our little guy shed about a week, maybe 8 days ago. In the past, I've always just gave it a few days before trying to feed again. This time however, he won't eat, I tried 4 days ago, and again today. This is the first time he's not eaten. He's not stressed, that I can see anyway. Temps are right on too. How long before I start to worry?
thanks

jasbus
03-04-2007, 06:31 PM
Oh, forgot to mention, he was on schedule to eat the day he shed, so it's been two weeks since he ate...

Dave123
03-04-2007, 07:09 PM
It's not time to worry yet. I would put him in a separate container, with a locked lid and small holes, with the F/T mouse for a few hours. If he still hasn't eaten before you go to bed, you can leave him in it overnight.
Good luck!

Tracee
03-05-2007, 08:08 AM
How old is he? Is he otherwise healthy?
Adult males often go off their food at this time of year, and can do so for many weeks (even months) with no detrimental effects, so you don't need to worry yet unless yours is still very small and has lost weight.

I'd suggest waiting a week between attempted feeds so you don't 'condition' snakey to refuse food (although this is unlikely, who wants to risk it?).

To answer your original question, that would depend on the snake. Mine is quite happy to eat on the same day he sheds.

Nanci
03-05-2007, 08:32 AM
Back to the original question- mine eat the day they shed, too.

Nanci

snakemom1961
03-05-2007, 08:34 AM
Tiaga for the first time refused her meal while in blue. I've had her 3 years and this was a first. I'm waiting till she sheds to try and feed her again. This girl usually eats like theres no tomorrow. Yet this time she refused. What a twit..lol

jasbus
03-05-2007, 02:22 PM
Well, it must've been the mouse. I offered another, it was gone when I came back to the container 5 minutes after I put it in...
Thanks for the input... He'd never refused food before, so I thought I'd just try another fuzzy instead. Glad all is fine now. He's has eaten the day or two after a shed before, just thought maybe mine was weird.
Oh well, thanks again