PDA

View Full Version : Question about Mordred's colors

Question about Mordred's colors

clavarnway
03-07-2007, 09:45 PM
Here is a pic attached of Mordred. Note the yellow coloration at his underside and the red mark on his face, it's the same on the other side. Is this normal or a symptom of something?

Thanks.

tyflier
03-07-2007, 11:14 PM
Looks like an Anery, and it is completely normal for snake's to gain yellow coloration as they mature...especially anerys...

tyflier
03-07-2007, 11:15 PM
Looks like an Anery, and it is completely normal for snake's to gain yellow coloration as they mature...especially anerys...
That should read "for cornsnakes to gain yellow" not all snakes :).

dwyn127
03-07-2007, 11:33 PM
Yeah, what Chris said. Very normal.

Love the use of the arrows; kinda like Madden calling a Monday Night Football game.:cool:

clavarnway
03-08-2007, 01:09 AM
I'm just glad he's not in trouble or anything, that's really cool he's gonna get some nice yellow color to him. :) I just want him to be healthy, could be ugly as sin as long as he's healthy. Thanks everybody!! Also that red mark, is that nothing?

clavarnway
03-08-2007, 01:13 AM
Oh...what is an Anery? Is it a species? Or like a term for a dog like a mut?

clavarnway
03-08-2007, 01:21 AM
Is there a way to edit previous posts that I don't see?

Anyway I was viewing pics in the photo forum, and I'm seeing that red type of mark on alot of them. Is that a normal part of maturing for them? Do they serve a function?

Susan
03-08-2007, 06:41 AM
The red mark is also a normal coloration in corn snakes. An anery (short for anerythristic) is one of the many color mutation found in cornsnakes. Currently, there are 3 different genetic types of anery...anery A (which is yours), anery B (more commonly called charcoal) and anery C (aka Z Morph/Morph Z or cinder). Some other color mutations are amelanistic (amel for short), lavender, caramel and about 5 types of hypomelanism. There are also pattern mutaions, such as motley, stripe, diffuse and zigzag. All of these genes are basically simple recessive mutations (there are a couple of "oddball" genes but that's another thread) and these genes can be combined to create different looks, such as a snow, opal, lavender motley, etc.

Yvonne112
03-09-2007, 11:50 AM
your corn looks great! but your arms have got me freaked out....where to they start and end? It lookes like both your arms are joined in the middle without hands...LOL...does anybody else see this or am I just totally viewing things in a different way today? :shrugs:

Yvonne112
03-09-2007, 11:52 AM
:roflmao: O.K., I get it now, just went back and looked again. What I thought was your elbow, was actually your wrist !!! Duh....you know how you look at something sometimes, and just can't see what your supposed to? no? it's just me? :uhoh:

Cuddles
03-09-2007, 03:02 PM
How old is your snake? And to others, when does the yellow usually kick in?

Nanci
03-09-2007, 03:18 PM
Is there a way to edit previous posts that I don't see?

Yes, become a contributing member for $25/year and you will be allowed to edit! Best $25 I ever spent.

Nanci

clavarnway
03-10-2007, 05:07 AM
Yes, become a contributing member for $25/year and you will be allowed to edit! Best $25 I ever spent.

NanciAhh thank you :) If I end up become a more active user it seems like a good investment!

Also to the previous poster, I'm not exactly sure on when he was born, but I'd guestimate 4-6 months old, no older.

tyflier
03-10-2007, 05:30 AM
Ahh thank you :) If I end up become a more active user it seems like a good investment!

Also to the previous poster, I'm not exactly sure on when he was born, but I'd guestimate 4-6 months old, no older.
I could be completely wrong, but if I had to make a guess on the age of your snake, Mordred, I would put him in the yearling stage...definitely not hatchling...

My corn is about 8 months old, and your appears to be MUCH larger than mine...and I couldn't possibly feed mine any more aggressively without risking regurgitations...

clavarnway
03-10-2007, 06:05 AM
I could be completely wrong, but if I had to make a guess on the age of your snake, Mordred, I would put him in the yearling stage...definitely not hatchling...

My corn is about 8 months old, and your appears to be MUCH larger than mine...and I couldn't possibly feed mine any more aggressively without risking regurgitations...
It's definitely possible that my memory fails me. :) I'm not sure how old he is unfortunately.