PDA

View Full Version : Help Please! Corn Not Eating

Help Please! Corn Not Eating

Ariel
02-02-2003, 12:37 PM
Hey
I have a corn who is 9½ years old, 135cm long & 4 cm thick who has had a hard time eating lately. She used to eat around 3 big mice per week but has been eating irregularly the past year. She eats only live mice...I took her to the vet who ran some tests for parasites and infections but she appears healthy. She has also had trouble shedding the skin around her neck and head and I wonder if it is tight and maybe keeps her from wanting to eat. She used to shed in one piece...
I live in Sweden and it is cold and dark in the winter here. I have a large tank for her tho with UV lamps and heating elements so I don't think she should be affected by the time of year. But if I am not mistaken corns can hibernate and eat less during the winter in the wild. I would appreciate any comments as I am worried about my baby!
// Ariel

13mur 6
02-02-2003, 12:44 PM
Hey there,

Corns do eat less in the winter, and some actually demand brumation. But I think in your case humidity might be a problem. Try offering a plastic tub with a wet paper towel or damp moss, that should fix the shedding. Also make sure it's not too warm or too cool in the tank (85 deg F high, 75 deg F low). Another thing is you might be feeding way too much. 3 adult mice a week for an adult corn is a LOT of food. Try cutting back on the food, maybe 3 mice every 2 weeks. Perhaps feeding too often is stressing your snake out.

Hope that helps.

-13mur 6

Ariel
02-03-2003, 05:59 AM
Thanks!
I will see how it works by feeding less often (it has come to that anyway since she decides when she wants food!) ;)

mariska
02-04-2003, 06:15 PM
3 mice a week...for a 9.5 year old snake!!!! thats way too much...you want to fatten het??i give my adults a mice per week...thats enough really...
i think your snake is just full...and ofcourse in this time (brumation) it will refuse...just the time of year....
gosh i would like to see a pic of this snake!!!3 mice a week...( i dont even feed mij hatchlings that much)
maris

charcoal_mots
05-09-2005, 04:49 PM
4cm by 135 I'm trying to picture that. But 4cm is about and inch and a half so that seems a little big to me. you really otta cut back some.my yearling eats once a week and only 1 adult mouse.

Mary-Beth
05-09-2005, 04:57 PM
Just wondering why you're bringing up these old threads? :shrugs:

howiet4702
05-09-2005, 06:27 PM
Just wondering why you're bringing up these old threads? :shrugs:

Does he realize this? I have already read about 5 old posts he responded too.

:shrugs: