PDA

View Full Version : Baja Trip

Baja Trip

Merlinator
03-18-2007, 01:03 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recently returned from 10 days in the East Cape of Baja. I usually go down to flyfish in the Sea of Cortez but they had 5 real bad days of wind and the water temps were not right. We tried one day but it was futile, not like the other years I've been down here.
Since I had rekindled my interest in snakes I though we, my buddy and I, would do some snake hunting but what we were told is that is was too cold for snakes. Anyway we decided to try. We went out and flipped an old boat and being kind of nervous about rattlers we missed our chance to grab a couple of nice 4-5 foot long silver snakes. Later on I flipped an old small piece of plywood and grabbed a small 10-12 inch flesh coloured snake. It wriggled out of my hands and started to disappear into the sand. We started diggin after it but couldn't find it again.
A couple of days later we went back out to the boat and this time there was only one snake but my buddy grabbed it. It was very docile and beautiful in it's simplistic pattern.
I boutht the book Reptiles of Baja California and identified the snakes as a coachwhip and a patternless sand snake.
WE also found several kinds of lizards including a large Spiny Tailed iguana. I have pics on my buddy's camera and if there is any interest I will post them later.
This is a list of what we saw.
Chilomeniscus stramineus Bandless sand snake
Masticophis fuliginosus Baja Californian coachwhip
Pelamis platurus Yellow-bellied seasnake
Ctenosaura hemilopha Spiny-tailed Iguana
Urosaurus nigricaudus Baja California Brush Lizard
Eumeces skiltonianus Western Skink