PDA

View Full Version : First Herping trip proves hopeful for the season...

First Herping trip proves hopeful for the season...

Pruddock
03-20-2007, 09:36 PM
Found this guy on my way to go herping for the first time this spring. Had a little time this afternoon and I wanted to try out my new camera so I thought I'd take a little walk even though it was late in the day. Didn't even get there and this big guy was trying to cross the road. I about swerved off the pavement trying to miss him lol, but I parked and ran back to save him and put him safely on the other side of the fence and leave him on his way....after a quick photo shoot of course ;).

He was definitly defensive though, never let me get a shot of him out of "cobra mode". He was hissing like a broken pipe too. All good fun though, can't wait to see what else this new location turns up. There's supposed to be a lot of texas rats out there and a whole mess of copperheads. :cheers:

Pruddock
03-20-2007, 09:39 PM
Just a couple more pics...the place had tons of skinks and field mice too so im really pumped about seein some snakes this spring :D..anyways enjoy.

Oh and on the identification note i believe he's a Heterodon Platyrhinos (Eastern Hognose Snake) and my first hoggy :D :cheers:

SkyChimp
03-20-2007, 09:58 PM
Looks like an Eastern to me! Great photos. Congrats. Hognoses are supposed to be common around my area but it's one snake I've never found while herping. Keep the photos coming. Hope you find a Copperhead, they are gorgeous snakes.

desertanimal
03-20-2007, 10:47 PM
Ha ha! I think you made him mad.... Nice photos.

V.F.T.
03-20-2007, 11:02 PM
lol great pictures

He sure has some attitude

Pruddock
03-20-2007, 11:34 PM
Yeah I'm really pumped about finding a copperhead, I actually just got my new snakehook in tonight for my bday (i hope you all celebrated as hard as i did -- st. patty's day) and i just love their colors. I have this great 70-210 mm zoom lens too for my Nikon SLR so I should be able to get some great close ups without gettin myself into too much trouble. :D

I'm plannin on goin back out friday morning so hopefully things will prove to be just as productive as this trip was.

Thank you for all of the compliments on the pictures too :cheers: Hope ya'll continue to enjoy

and one last note...if there is anybody who is in the bryan-college station area who is down for goin out and field herpin or has any good spots i would love to go huntin with ya.

diamondlil
03-21-2007, 03:26 AM
Fantastic find and great pictures. Adorable 'scary' snake!

Chase13
03-21-2007, 10:33 AM
I actually just got my new snakehook in tonight for my bday...

You can thank me for that. Happy B-Day bro!! :wavey:

Tula_Montage
03-21-2007, 10:57 AM
Cool shots, Its amazing how flat easterns can go, westerns hardly do it :(