PDA

View Full Version : Problems with feeding

Problems with feeding

Trever
03-22-2007, 04:12 PM
I have my first corn snake. It is a baby. I got it on March 09, 2007. It ate a pinky mouse on March 11th. It has not eaten since. I have a 15 day
warranty with the pet store and am wondering if I should take it back if it
does not work.
Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thank You,
Trever

EvilRix
03-22-2007, 04:56 PM
From experience, I can tell you they can be awkward little buggers to get eating sometimes (mine sometimes refuse to eat for weeks). If s/he looks healthy alert and active, I don't think I'd be worried just yet.

I found they are more likely to eat if just left alone to get on with it; having someone around can make then nervous. Why not try warming a pinkie through and leave it and the snake to have some alone time together for about an hour or so (don't be tempted to sneak a peak otherwise s/he may get upset and refuse to eat)? Eventually they'll usually eat.

Also, make sure you feed your baby in a seperate enclosure from the normal vivarium (to avoid accidental ingestion of substrate and so they don't think anything entering is food and try to bite). It's also important to make sure s/he is warm enough after a feed; otherwise s/he may be unable to ingest the food properly.

Above all, I'd suggest you check out Kathy Love's Corn Snake Care Sheet and take it from there...

http://tinyurl.com/yu9atl

Good luck.

Nanci
03-22-2007, 05:15 PM
Can you describe your feeding procedure, and the amount you have been handling your snake?

Nanci

Daeraelle
03-22-2007, 05:38 PM
I have a 15 day warranty with the pet store and am wondering if I should take it back if it does not work.

It's not a broken toy, it's a snake. "It doesn't work" is usually reserved for inanimate objects that are supposed to serve some purpose, I've never heard of it said about a living animal.

Did you leave him alone for at least three days when you first brought him home? If he's been handled the whole time, he may still be stressed out. Did you handle him after feeding? You only gave him two days before you fed him after getting him. Leave him alone for a week. Just don't hold him or open his viv except to get him water. After a week, try feeding again. If it still doesn't eat, and is looking healthy, give it another week, and trying slitting, braining, or washing. It's only been 11 days since it's last meal, it won't hurt to wait.

Susan
03-22-2007, 06:35 PM
And is an adult helping you care for your snake? IMO, 9 years old is a bit young to be totally in charge of caring for a pet.

And I do want to compliment you on your language skills. Your post sure isn't typical for one your age.

Trever
03-22-2007, 06:37 PM
I am sorry if I offended anyone by calling my snake an it. My snake has
already eaten once. I put a pinky next to his hiding area and he ate it.
It has been 10 days since it (oops - he or she) has eaten.
I have geckos, but have never had a snake. How long in between feedings
for a corn snake normally?
I normally handle my snake for a few minutes about every 2 to 3 days.
Thank you all for your information.

Trever
03-22-2007, 06:42 PM
I have had Geckos for 4 years now and they are in great shape. This is my 1st year in 4-H and I will be showing my geckos. I have been homeschooled all my life and have had animals my whole life. My mom helps me sometimes,
but i mostly take care of my animals myself. My mom let me buy a snake. I have been waiting for 2 yuears. I saved up my own money to pay for everything.

Nanci
03-22-2007, 07:15 PM
Ok, probably the most likely successful way to feed your baby is to put it in a small container, like the size of a margerine dish, with air holes. Put the pink in with it. make sure the pink is nice and hot- 101-103F. Make sure the snake can't escape from the feeding container. You can cut two-four shallow slits in the (dead) pink's back to make it smell stronger and easier to digest. Then leave the snake alone in the container, without bothering it. Check in 30 minutes. If it hasn't eaten, check back in an hour. You may have to leave it for several hours, or not.

You should cease all handling of your snake until it feeds, and for 48 hours afterwards. Establishing it as a good feeder is by far the most important thing right now.

Do you have heat in your snake's viv? He needs to be about 85F on the warm side, and 75F on the cool side, and have a hide at either end.

Nanci

Trever
03-24-2007, 07:01 PM
I just found that my snake shed his skin. I found it this morning.
Maybe thats why he has not eaten. I will try to feed him tonight.
His tank is heated properly.
Thanks for your help
Trever

snakemom1961
03-25-2007, 01:20 AM
I would say that's very a very plausible reason your baby didn't eat for you.
What morph corn is he? Most corns you can see them go into "blue" then clearup and in a few days shed. Of my 3, 1 will not eat during shed the other 2 usually dont' care one way or another. Good Luck with your little guy!