PDA

View Full Version : Complete Noob with a few Q's!!

Complete Noob with a few Q's!!

Big Winston
03-24-2007, 03:04 PM
Hello all,

Just a few questions that I need help with if thats ok.

I have a young black Albino corn, (http://www.putfile.com/bigbaggiesman <----- Photos here) when I purchased him I was advised that at his / her current age he should be eating 2 pinks a week.

I fed him for the first time last week in his tank (Cardinal Sin with the substrate I have) and he munched the 1st pink so I thought superb and offered him the second pink and he just turned his nose up and trundled off to his hide.

I left his pink under the heat source opposite his hide and left him be. Came back later it was still there.

Ok no worries, maybe he is not hungry? This week after much research I have rooted out a container and put small holes in top of it and placed him in there with 2 pinks and closed the lid and left him be. 1 pink remains in there.

Am I correct in thinking he is not hungry or could there be a problem?

Secondly I have noticed when you rub against the underside of him in the opposite direction to the way his scales face the odd one catches on your finger??! Is this a problem with his skin or do all snakes have these?

Cheers,

Steve.

Dave123
03-24-2007, 04:34 PM
Hello,

Great looking anery. With the feeding thing, he may be big enough to eat one fuzzie a week. Check out the sizes in the browse products section of rodentpro.com. Its good that you got a separate container to feed him in, its not good to feed him in his cage because he could ingest substrate.

With the scales, it seems fine. Just try not to pop any up when you rub him.

Fenderplayer108
03-24-2007, 04:42 PM
Try slitting both f/t prey items down the back, and placing in a dark container in a dark room overnight.

Big Winston
03-24-2007, 04:43 PM
Thanks Dave,

I am not to worried about his scales, he seems in no discomfort what so ever nor does it look to be anything out of the ordinary - just feels weird.

With regards to the food I may look at that option on the basis the pinks he is currently eating are only a little wider than his head.

Also how often do snakes use the loo? I have had him 2 weeks today and he has only done it once (On my blooming leg). I check his tank each day as I do him and there is nothing ever there?? Could this be related to eating?

I guess it will have an effect?!

Thanks for the prompt response.

Steve.

Big Winston
03-24-2007, 04:46 PM
Try slitting both f/t prey items down the back, and placing in a dark container in a dark room overnight.

Please forgive my ignorence but F/T??

What is this? As for slitting the little beasties I do that prior to offering them to him - I presume it has a similar effect as when my better half cooks a bacon butty and I smell it............... Yum yum breakfast bun! :-D

Big Winston
03-24-2007, 05:11 PM
Slight problem...........

I have just logged onto rodentpro.com and the coins they use to gage the size of the mice is an american coin. :rolleyes:

I am in the UK and have no clue as to how big these coins are?! hehe
I am guessing they are of a similar size to our 10p.

20mm diameter?

Silly me. lol

Dave123
03-24-2007, 05:41 PM
Please forgive my ignorence but F/T??

What is this? As for slitting the little beasties I do that prior to offering them to him - I presume it has a similar effect as when my better half cooks a bacon butty and I smell it............... Yum yum breakfast bun! :-D

F/T is Frozen thawed. I'm guessing you have dead frozen pinkies, then you thaw them. Yep, as Ryan said you could thaw them and then slit them.

Sorry about the coin thing, I didn't see you were not in the US.