PDA

View Full Version : Sad, Sad News...

Sad, Sad News...

CornCrazy
02-07-2003, 05:41 PM
Well, I've had a really bad week. First my little albino yellow ratsnake female died. I was expecting her to not make it. She hasn't done well since I got her.

But this morning, I found my female amel motley dead. She was two years old. I had only gotten her last month, however. I don't have any idea why she died. It has me very heartbroken. She was in blue phase a couple of weeks or so ago. She had diarrhea then. I ran a fecal and saw nothing. Anyway, after she shed she had a normal bowel movement so I figured it was just the stress of the shed that caused the diarrhea in the first place. Well, then she wouldn't eat. It was only a couple of feedings so I didn't think much about it. She had not lost weight or anything. I would feel better if I knew what caused her death.

I did cut her open to see if she had any obvious problems...being impacted for example. There was nothing that looked abnormal. Has anyone else had a snake die like this...with no apparent cause?

Alicia
02-07-2003, 10:10 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this. Did you consider having a necropsy done? I know cost can be a factor. I hope things start looking up. It's got to get better.

Colleen
02-08-2003, 02:39 AM
about your loss. I have heard that sometimes they just seem to die for no explainable reason. Maybe the stress of a new home?

:( Sorry Colleen

CornCrazy
02-08-2003, 05:47 AM
As for a necropsy, I can get one done fairly cheap since I actually work for a vet ($10-$15). The problem is that because I've never actually been faced with the possibility of having to have a necropsy done, I didn't know you could only refrigerate the body. I was in a hurry because the whole thing made me late for work, and I put her in the freezer. A mistake that I will never repeat.

carol
02-08-2003, 12:09 PM
I am sorry to hear that Terri. :(

Hope H
02-08-2003, 06:44 PM
I have a 3 year old Jungle Corn. Completely healthy, never refused a meal unless getting ready to shed. Well, two weeks ago he refused his 3 big mice. Thought he was just going to shed. Last week he refused to eat again. Thought it was just because he hadn't shed yet; I thought any day now. Wednessday he was dead. Untill 2 weeks ago he had a big hearty appatite, was active, and no sign of any illness. This is strange...

Susan
02-08-2003, 09:58 PM
I, too, have had a few snakes die for no apparent reason over the years. I had one necropsied, and everything appeared normal. I've come to accept the fact that this sort of thing happens and that there is nothing I can do to prevent it, no matter how hard I try.

Again, my condolences at your loss.

Matt L
02-08-2003, 10:39 PM
Hey Terri,
WOW! Terri...we were just talking about her...so sorry about the loss...I share your pain--one of my Snow Bull snakes has gone as well. This is quite a bummer as I have nothing else to breed the one other snow bull with.

Matt L.

CornCrazy
02-09-2003, 06:11 AM
I knew you would all understand how I feel.

I'm sorry Matt...about your snow bull snake. I sort of know what you mean about not having anything to breed the other snow bull to. This was my ONLY female motley. I was so looking forward to producing motleys, and now I can only produce snakes which are het motley. I'd hate to be in your situation where you have nothing at all to breed him to.

Thanks again for everyone's compassion and concern. It has really helped me to get through this. People who don't love herps just don't understand how we feel about our reptiles, so I'm glad I could turn to you guys!