PDA

View Full Version : feeding too much?

feeding too much?

rosecat
04-02-2007, 02:34 PM
I was wondering if it's possible to feed too much? How do you tell? This is why i'm asking:
I recently increased Phantom & Tango to 2 pinkies, Phantom started 2 on 3/10, & Tango 3/17 (they went from 1 pinky Wed/Sat to 2 pinkies on Sats) ... I went on vacation & my boyfriend (he lives with me) fed them 2 pinkies each on 3/24 however when i got home I realized he fed them 2 lg pinkies, (previously had been getting 2 smalls). He said Phantom had some trouble eatting one of them (it took him a long time) because it was so big. But when we got back from vacation this sat 3/31 they looked fine no evidence of regurge or anything (they're growing fast!) and Phantom is in the blue phase. I decided that since they had eatten quite a bit more than what i had been giving them to wait an extra day to feed them again, but after looking at approx weights from www.themousefactory.com of the frozen pinks decided to increase the feeding from 2 sm pinks to 3 sm pinks. So last night (4/1) Phantom & Tango got & ate 3 sm pinks ... they looked very content when they were done.
I was thinking (but am unsure) about keeping them on 3 pinks and feeding every 5 days. I wanted to know if this is an okay schedule? I'm not trying to speed grow them, i just want to feed them so they're happy. Also this shed that Phantom is going into is his 2nd since I've had him, his first was complete 3/4, and Tango has also had one complete about 3/10
(Just incase you haven't read my intro post, when I first got them 2/20/07 they had only been fed once or twice and are Sept 06 hatchlings. )

Thanks!
~rosecat

PtDnsr
04-02-2007, 04:59 PM
I usually move straight from small pinks to large pinks. Sometimes from there I'll go to two large pinks and then a fuzzy but often I'll just choose a smaller fuzzy for a while. I don't feed more than two of one sized item because often this is actually more than the next size up (ex: 2 small pinks at 2g each - total 6g, is more than one large pink at 3g each). If you want to go ahead and finish your supply of small pinks you could but I'd say they're ready for large pinks for a while from your descriptions.

~Katie

rosecat
04-02-2007, 09:30 PM
okay ... i was hoping to use all of my small pinks, I've still got about 50 left-- I originally got 75 sm & 25 lg (split order with friends). And i don't have any other snakes or plan on getting anymore anytime in the near future, so i'd have no need for the extra sm pinkies.

~rosecat

snakemom1961
04-03-2007, 08:32 AM
I'd go ahead and finish with the pinks. No need to waste them, just continue the 2 eat till thier gone then go up to the larger pinks. Good luck with your guys!

rosecat
04-03-2007, 11:45 AM
so should i not feed 3 sm? that's what i did at the last feeding ...