PDA

View Full Version : An estimate but I need some advice..

An estimate but I need some advice..

Maize411
04-02-2007, 03:06 PM
Hey everyone, I've estimated that my snake must be at the very least 3 months old (I've had her for 2 months and the pet store said she had come in the day before I bought her so I'm estimated another month old before they sent her to be sold at the pet store) Either way...so she might be around 3 months old..Right now she is on 2 pinkies every six days, I was thinking about doing this for another month and then maybe trying one size up. Does this sound good? I'm not sure of her weight as I do not have a scale, and as for her size..I can only estimate that she is about 1ft 1 inch long...again this is only and estimate...tell me what you guys think...thanks... :cry:

zwyatt
04-02-2007, 03:17 PM
Weight and age probably aren't the best parameters to use for dictating meal size. The "gold standard" that I've always heard and used myself is to feed her 1 prey item that is ~1.5x the width of her body (at its widest point). When there is no longer a noticeable bulge just after she's just eaten, you can move up to the next size bigger at the next feeding. That's about the best advice I could give.

Nanci
04-02-2007, 05:40 PM
Weight and age probably aren't the best parameters to use for dictating meal size.

I use the snake's weight to determine the total weight of the prey, and then decide by snake body diameter whether that weight will be one prey animal or two smaller ones.

At the "double pinks" size of snake, I'd still be feeding on a five day schedule.

Nanci