• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

new corn shed yesterday. wont eat today.

dawiz

i got the snake sunday. left him alone til this afternoon when i got home with his food. i took him out and handled him for about 5 minutes then put him in the feeding tub with two fuzzies. no interest. currently he is in a box alone with the fuzzies for about an hour now and still no eat. should i leave him in the box with the fuzzies overnight?
also i noticed some black dots under his chin sorta in his neck area that look like they are under the scales. what could that be?

btw when i bought the snake they said he was last fed on wed. so that would be 7 days ago.

diamondlil said:
I like this page from Kathy Love's site, on how to settle a new snake
http://www.corn-utopia.com/Corn Utopia on the Web/- CARE SHEET Cornutopia corn snakes cornsnakes.htm
The black specks could be mites, you can get good treatments for them in the form of sprays, if you do a search on mites on this forum there is tons of advice that should help. (I used frontline, very sparingly)
since ive only had the snake since sunday and it has mites should i return it and go elsewhere or take the time to remedy the problem?

I would go back. I got my bunny who then started sneezing a lot and they paid for her respiratory meds for me (really expensive) and I still got to keep the bunny I wanted. A good pet store/breeder would probably do the same for your new baby! Good Luck!

Depends on how much you want to keep that particular snake. Mites are so common that you could easily have the same situation again. Any store runs the risk of each new consignment bringing in mites. If you really like the snake, just treat it. If you don't, take it back.

well the "reptile guy" at the store where i bought him will be in tomorrow. ill take him in and see what they want to do.

well last night i left him alone with the fuzzies. get up this am and they are still there. i didint see the "black dots" when i looked before bed as he was moving all around the tank,maybe it was some of the substrate stuck in his scales? ill look again in a bit. should i just keep the fuzzies for a few days and try again?
how long will the fuzzies stay alive? yes i tried live because thats what they have been doing at the pet stroe and i didnt want to change him to dead right away. after he gets commy ill start to switch him over.

Most feeding problems are due to either stress or husbandry issues. Hane you checked the husbandry FAQ, and made sure your temperature range is right? I'd personally take the fuzzies out and leave the snake completely alone for a few days. (euthanise the fuzzies and put them in the freezer so they don't starve to death) Then if all the conditions are right, put the snake in a small lidded (ventilated) tub with a thawed, warm fuzzy in a quiet area in a few days.

diamondlil said:
Most feeding problems are due to either stress or husbandry issues. Hane you checked the husbandry FAQ, and made sure your temperature range is right? I'd personally take the fuzzies out and leave the snake completely alone for a few days. (euthanise the fuzzies and put them in the freezer so they don't starve to death) Then if all the conditions are right, put the snake in a small lidded (ventilated) tub with a thawed, warm fuzzy in a quiet area in a few days.
what is the proper method of "euthanising" them?
the temps in the viv range from 75-80 (room temp). i have a uth coming as the light just seemed to heat the whole viv.

Fuzzies? Personally I just flick peach fuzzies on the back of the head a couple of times. If they are more like crawlers, I use surgical forceps to break their necks. I tried the soda/vinegar co2 method but this is quicker and easier for me.

It's hard to judge without seeing the snake, but I'd maybe try a large pink and see what happens, crawlers might be too big right now

Back