PDA

View Full Version : Him or Her ?

Him or Her ?

J.T.Cosmo
04-07-2007, 07:50 AM
I just wondered how important it is to get your snake sexed? My amel is 22 weeks old and im never going to breed him so i just wanted to know are there any other reasons to get them sexed? Are there for instance particular health issues or behaviour problems for either sex that i should know about? I was just curious and i've already named him cosmo because he looks like a boy to me. Lol.

J.T.Cosmo
04-07-2007, 07:52 AM
I hope this is the right place for this thread, apologies if i've put it in the wrong place.

PtDnsr
04-07-2007, 09:15 AM
If you're not going to breed your snake and you're fine with not knowing if it's a boy or a girl there's no reason to know really. The only real difference is that sometimes males will go off food for a while in the spring when they're older because of breeding season. If you do want to get it sexed though, make sure you go to an experienced reptile vet or breeder.

~Katie

Susan
04-08-2007, 11:17 AM
Actually, I can think of a reason to know. If it's a female, she may produce eggs as an adult and there is the risk, however slight, of her becoming egg-bound, even with slugs. Knowing this possibility in advance may cause you to look for the potential signs of being egg-bound and giving your snake any medical treatment necessary to help it before it's too late.

CAS 28
04-08-2007, 01:46 PM
If you're not going to breed your snake and you're fine with not knowing if it's a boy or a girl there's no reason to know really. The only real difference is that sometimes males will go off food for a while in the spring when they're older because of breeding season. If you do want to get it sexed though, make sure you go to an experienced reptile vet or breeder.

~Katie

This is what my male is doing now. He cruises the cage non-stop looking for a mate and wont eat. About when will he stop and eat again because he was just bred Friday (I was hoping he would calm down after this!)?

ghosthousecorns
04-08-2007, 02:53 PM
It varies with males... I have had ones that will eat every couple of weeks and others not eat for 3 months, usually when breeding season comes around they have other things on their mind than food. I had an anery male that would take pinkies but nothing bigger during breeding season. If your male is in good shape the lack of food won't hurt him :)

J.T.Cosmo
04-09-2007, 06:21 PM
If i do get my snake sexed is there a specific age to get this done? My amel is 22 weeks. Is this to young? thanks for replys.

CAS 28
04-09-2007, 09:55 PM
That should be fine, however I'm not totally positive.