PDA

View Full Version : ReptoCal tastes bad?

ReptoCal tastes bad?

preech
04-11-2007, 11:18 AM
I recently got an adult female Creamscicle from a friend. The first feeding and shed went great. Then another friend gave me some fuzzies that she had frozen. Her corn escaped (with the help of her five year old daughter) and she didn't need them anymore. She also gave me some Reptocal nutritional supplement. Now when "Peachie" starts to eat, she just sticks her little snout into the air and crawls away. Any thoughts?

diamondlil
04-11-2007, 11:22 AM
The snake doesn't need the reptocal at all. There's also the possibility that that batch of mice 'smells' or 'tastes' wrong to the snake. As the first feeding went well, I'd wait a week and offer a plain, unadulterated f/t mouse from your former source and see what happens

Nanci
04-11-2007, 11:30 AM
Every tortoise I've ever had will eat Reptocal like salt on French fries, but the one time (so far) I tried to trick a snake into eating a mouse with a dash of Nutribac on its rear end- no way. Other people have success. But snakes don't need Reptocal, anyway.

Nanci

Roy Munson
04-11-2007, 01:06 PM
I don't know how ReptoCal tastes, but the smell of it makes me gag. I stopped using supplements a long time ago, but my snakes never minded ReptoCal, Herptivite, or Nutri-Bac. :shrugs: I only dusted the butt-end of the prey items since snakes usually start at the head.

But I agree with Janine and Nanci. Now I'd only use it for gravid females, and I haven't even done that this season.

preech
04-11-2007, 03:35 PM
Thanks. Like so many others on this wonderful forum, I am a newbie. The Reptocal was a gift from a corn owner so I didn't check into it as I should have. I have removed the mice with reptocal dust and placed a fresh f/t in the feeding dish. I have noticed she is very active over the last couple of days. The guy I got her from says she will search the tank actively when she is hungry. She still hasn't eaten. She shed only 3 weeks ago. I am sure she is fine. It is her owner that needs to relax. lol. I never thought I would get attached or even own a snake. But I think I am hooked.