PDA

View Full Version : Tricks using anoles.

Tricks using anoles.

Lennycorn
04-12-2007, 08:13 PM
My Butter has been off food since mid February and I thought it was due to matting season. Since then I have tried the other trick slicing, braining feeding smaller prey. over night etc etc. All waiting to the next week. I like to know your tricks using a anoles and I what and how to do with it after your "done". The only other tricks is the ivory soap trick, (bathing a f/t cool) and force feeding. And by the way my amel decided to go off feed too now.
This is fun...NOT!

Lennycorn
04-13-2007, 04:25 PM
(bump)
Anybody???

Jrgh17
04-13-2007, 05:03 PM
I've never done it, but I've heard you can just buy the lizard, keep it as a pet (or freeze it) and just rub a pinkie on it before feeding.

Again that's just what I've read. Good luck :)

Roy Munson
04-13-2007, 05:29 PM
I wouldn't be that worried about an adult male going without food for two months during breeding season. I had an unbrumated, unbred adult male fast for three full months last year (March 3rd through June 3rd). Then he shed and resumed feeding like a champ. And I probably wouldn't use lizard-scenting for an adult anyway unless I'd already tried a bunch of other things and the situation was urgent.

I did buy an anole last year for scenting pinks for hatchlings. I did the fridge-to-freezer treatment on it. I thawed it out when I needed it, stuck the pinky's head in its mouth, and got it nice and spitty. Anole saliva really works for some reluctant hatchlings. I also peeled skin off it and stuck it to the wet pinks. I refroze the anole after each use. It's still in the back of my freezer somewhere...

Lennycorn
04-13-2007, 07:26 PM
I wouldn't be that worried about an adult male going without food for two months during breeding season. I had an unbrumated, unbred adult male fast for three full months last year (March 3rd through June 3rd). Then he shed and resumed feeding like a champ. And I probably wouldn't use lizard-scenting for an adult anyway unless I'd already tried a bunch of other things and the situation was urgent.

Thanks for your words, it's just that I'm uneasy with the situation. My Butter is an 05' of Aug from Rich and he's not as thick as my amel. And this is the first season they decided to go off feed. I'm thinking maybe my 0.0.1. amel is a 0.1.0 that set off my butter. :shrugs: But if this goes on much longer I feel like I have to do something! I tried the stated above and tuna juice too! Anybody rat pinks is worth a try........... Boy, I feel like a worried Mom!

snakemom1961
04-14-2007, 12:50 AM

I did buy an anole last year for scenting pinks for hatchlings. I did the fridge-to-freezer treatment on it. I thawed it out when I needed it, stuck the pinky's head in its mouth, and got it nice and spitty. Anole saliva really works for some reluctant hatchlings. I also peeled skin off it and stuck it to the wet pinks. I refroze the anole after each use. It's still in the back of my freezer somewhere...

We've seen your freezer. Between the mice and vodka, I doubt you will ever find that anole again!..... :sidestep: :sidestep:

dwyn127
04-14-2007, 02:04 AM
Lenny, I wouldn't worry. I have an '05 male, unbrumated that hasn't eaten since Feb 17th. I just keep offering every 7 days and know that when he's hungry, he will eat.

I know you think he'll never eat again, but if he's healthy and you haven't had problems before, he will eat again.

Patience is a virtue,,,it sucks,,,but it's a virtue.

MegF.
04-14-2007, 12:40 PM
I did the same thing Dean, and I can find it in my freezer for this next batch of hatchlings. I wouldn't try force feeding yet. My amel went off food for 3 months also during mating season. He started eating when he was ready, and then it was like the old snake. I just offered every week or two (something a little smaller than normal) and one day, wham! He ate it. There was no stopping him after that...until next mating season that is....He's off now as a matter of fact. I wouldn't worry about it. Even small males can last a long time without food. I had a hathcling that never took a meal on it's own and it went 3 months before it really started looking bad and I euthanized it. If a newborn hatchling can go that long, your sub adult certainly can.