PDA

View Full Version : what can i feed my snake in and im guessing it has to remain in the "cage" after word

what can i feed my snake in and im guessing it has to remain in the "cage" after word

Glock23
04-13-2007, 11:53 PM
right? i gotta not move the snake at all after a feed. i'm worryed though if i didn't my snake would get too cold because of IL weather and my apartment..

idea's ?

ladydragon
04-14-2007, 12:12 AM
the few seconds it takes to move it from the feeding container to its actual home usually does not stress the snake out enough to regurge. You could always pick up the feeding container, provided its small enough, and tip the snake back into its home if you feel that handling it will stress it out too much after eating.

snakemom1961
04-14-2007, 12:47 AM
I feed all 4 of my snakes in paperbags, which I place in thier vivs.
After they have finished thier dinner I just tip the bag over and they slither out into thier viv's. That way there is no handling at all. But I don't think the little handling from feeding tub to viv will harm your snake at all. The only reason I do it that way is because Tiaga stays in hunt mode for well over an hour after feeding and that's the only time she has ever bit me. The paper bag trick works well for me. Just another Idea to float around for you.

bitsy
04-14-2007, 12:13 PM
Same as above, really.

I usually wait until my Corns have finished swallowing. While they're still moving the food item into their stomachs, you can see them constricting and they will remain relatively still. Once they start moving around the feeding tank after swallowing, I either gently pick them up and put them back in their usual homes, or I use the open-and-tip method - depending on which ones are most likely to view my fingers as an extension of feeding time!

I've rarely experienced regurges - maybe half a dozen in all the years I've had Corns - and I can't attribute any of them to the short period of handling between feeding tank and viv.

RedSky
04-19-2007, 02:26 PM
I like the paper bag idea - I think I will use that

tyflier
04-19-2007, 03:26 PM
I like the paper bag idea - I think I will use that
[cue guitar chords]Here's a little story 'bout Billie Joe and Bobby Sue. 2 Young lovers with nothing better to do...[/music]

Sorry, couldn't resist...

Anyhow, to answer your question, I have 3 corns, 2 kings, and a royal(ball) python. Of them, the ONLY one that doens't get fed in a completely seperate feeding bin is the BP, because she stresses WAY too easily to try that. All 5 of my colubrids get moved from their viv to a seperate feeding binwith closable lid. I put the f/t prey into the bin and leave them be for an hour or so. When they have finished eating and the food item has been moved all the way to the belly from the gullet, I gently lift them from the feeding bin and put them back in their vivs. I have NEVER had a regurge(yet).

FWIW--I feel that placing them in their feeding bin BEFORE putting the food item in there helps to instigate the hunting mode for them. Than, when I introduce the food, they seem to eat rather quickly. Occasionally, 1 of my snakes will make me wait a couple of hours before she eats, but I don't think that has anything to do with being in a seperate bin...she's just picky.

mbdorfer
04-19-2007, 03:52 PM
Usually, I feed then in a plastic container. Some snakes I just feed right on a table. I give them a few minutes to get out of "feeding response" mode and just put them back. Some of my snakes feel threatened by being enclosed in a small feeding container, so those I feed on a table, or...................... :grin01:
Please note this should not be common practice!