PDA

View Full Version : Strange behavior

Strange behavior

meycom
04-16-2007, 11:55 AM
Our three year old female stopped eating about 6 weeks ago and
seems really uninterested in eating at all. She has been a voracious eater
for her whole life. She also has become very active in her tank, much more active than ever before. Temp's are the same as always...
She does appear somewhat bigger as well ...

What could be going on?

Jeff

Tula_Montage
04-16-2007, 12:06 PM
I would put a moist laying mox in there. Its possible shes carrying infertile eggs. I assume she hasn't been bred as you only have one corn listed in your signature.

meycom
04-16-2007, 12:41 PM
Excuse my ignorance, we have never bred corns before..

What is a "moist laying mox"?

Jeff

bitsy
04-16-2007, 01:03 PM
I think "mox" should be "box".

A laying box is something like a plastic tub with a snake-sized hole in the side or lid, half filled with a damp laying medium. Moss or vermiculite are ideal, but you can improvise with damp kitchen towels (not wringing wet). Place the box half way between the warm and cool ends of the tank. Corns like to lay in dark, damp, warm places and if she's about to produce a clutch of infertile eggs, then the box will just make her feel more comfortable about it.

If she's reached maturity this year, she could be ovulating for the first time. That is, she's forming ova ready to be fertilised. These can make female appear larger and sometimes can be felt as lumps along the last third of her body - pretty much the same as if she were going to lay eggs.

Most of the time, these unfertilised ova are re-absorbed and the Corn returns to normal size and eating habits. Sometimes they form a clutch of infertile eggs, that are laid as you would expect.

If there's any chance that she could have come into contact with a male in the last few months, you might have fertile eggs about to appear.

meycom
04-16-2007, 03:45 PM
I'll rig up a box but honestly she doesn't appear to be "lumpy" ,
and she's definitely had no male exposure. She does appear to be
dry skinned though, kind of crackly.

Jeff

bitsy
04-17-2007, 07:44 AM
Maybe your gal is just having trouble with a shed. In which case, a moist box is also the way to go with that.

Let us know how she dows.

antsterr
04-17-2007, 09:43 AM
It's possible that she is actually a he and is doing the spring mating hunt right now. It's not uncommon for males to be so driven to find a mate in spring that they give up food temporarily. That would explain the constant activity. Of course, if you know she is a she, then this would not be the case.