PDA

View Full Version : is this a corn snake?!

is this a corn snake?!

darkmorning1
04-16-2007, 07:24 PM
i found this little guy up at my other house. im in Fl and he didnt seem to want to leave my house i put him out side and he kept coming right back in. so now his in a tank i fed him a pickie today he hasnt bitten me yet.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t16/darkmorning1/DSC07145.jpg?t=1176765791

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t16/darkmorning1/DSC07140.jpg?t=1176765738

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t16/darkmorning1/DSC07118-1.jpg?t=1176765775

Roy Munson
04-16-2007, 07:30 PM
Welcome to the forums. :)

Yep, that's a corn snake. Very cool find. It looks very light in coloration for a young corn. Maybe you found a wild hypomelanistic corn. :cool:

darkmorning1
04-16-2007, 07:42 PM
thank you.

Donna
04-16-2007, 07:44 PM
Very nice looking snake.
I don't know who's luckier, you fro finding him or him finding a new cozy retreat with free meals and warm temps.
Nice find.

darkmorning1
04-16-2007, 07:59 PM
lol thanks yeah i found the little guy in my other house good thing too becuse everything is dry up there the waters in the lakes are dried up theres a few mice in my housei found him in. thats how i found him setting down mice traps in my other bedroom lol

mbdorfer
04-16-2007, 08:01 PM
Nice! Where in Florida are you? There seems to be a decent population of hypo-ish looking corns here in Pinellas Co. :cool:

darkmorning1
04-16-2007, 08:08 PM
where i found him was around lake placid in venus.(<<my farm house) but right now im at my house i "live" at and thats 3 hours away pompano beach .

Jay@PJCReptiles
04-16-2007, 08:46 PM
Yup definatly a Cornsnake. Very nice one at that. He/she does have a very light background. Great find! :cool: :cool: :cool: 1/2

There seems to be a decent population of hypo-ish looking corns here in Pinellas Co.

Did mike say wild population of Hypo looking Corns? ...... Hey kid, watcha want for that snake!? :grin01:
Jay :cool:

darkmorning1
04-16-2007, 09:01 PM
lol who me? i think im going to keep this snake i found for now. anyway of telling if its a boy or girl?

SkyChimp
04-16-2007, 09:15 PM
Pretty one, too.

attackturtle
04-16-2007, 09:32 PM
That is a gorgeous snake Darkmorning! How is its temperment? Skittish? Curious?

darkmorning1
04-16-2007, 10:32 PM
Skittish this is the 2 day i had it. he will let me pick him up (but im still a little scared picking him up) he jumps a bit but hasnt bite me at all. he just jumps. but im sure he will calm down.but he does sometimes balled up and looks like his going to bit me. but im sure he will came down.

attackturtle
04-16-2007, 10:53 PM
Hope you enjoy your snake. Read the forum. There is lots of information. Best tip I can give you is to feed it somewhere other than it's viv during feeding time. That way, there is no association with her viv and food or you comming into her viv with food. Also, takes away the possibility of substrate getting eatten. I use a box from work that held envelopes.

darkmorning1
04-16-2007, 10:59 PM
yeah i fed him today a pinkie yeah i took him out and away from his tank. he ate it fine.

Pruddock
04-16-2007, 11:55 PM
Very nice looking snake.
I don't know who's luckier, you fro finding him or him finding a new cozy retreat with free meals and warm temps.
Nice find.

Perfect description lol I love it...Awesome find darkmorning!! Congrats and welcome to the forum. :cheers:

darkmorning1
04-17-2007, 12:04 AM
thank you thank you. is there anyway i can tell if its a girl or boy? should i take it to the vet and ask?

Guadalupe
04-17-2007, 09:52 AM
What a cute little wild cornsnakey!

darkmorning1
04-17-2007, 10:12 AM
yup his cute i just took him out for a few (as in sec's) lol am still scared of him a bit.lol i think we feel the same way about each other. we arint sure whos gonna eat who. his nice to a point. lol

Jcapicy
04-17-2007, 12:15 PM
DarkMorning,
What part of Florida are you in?

If you're local and need help with your corn just ask.

I live in Oldsmar.

Send me a PM if you want.

Great Looking Corn By the Way!

darkmorning1
04-17-2007, 12:28 PM
i about 4 hours away where i found him was around lake placid in venus.(<<my farm house) but right now im at my house i "live" at in pompano beach . i just got him a hide a way rock shelter. he seems to like it.

Daeraelle
04-17-2007, 01:16 PM
yup his cute i just took him out for a few (as in sec's) lol am still scared of him a bit.lol i think we feel the same way about each other. we arint sure whos gonna eat who. his nice to a point. lol

If you just fed him today, I wouldn't handle him for 48 hours. Being caught and put in an enclosure and then being handled after eating could possibly make him regurge. Let him calm down for a few days, give him time to digest and then hold him. He might be a little more mellow after he's gotten used to his surroundings.

darkmorning1
04-17-2007, 01:18 PM
ok cool i fed him yesterday i wait till 2morrow.

Daeraelle
04-17-2007, 01:29 PM
I always try to wait until after they poo to take them out, lol. I haven't been pooped on by a snake yet, so I try to avoid it.

By the way, he is a very good looking snake. Since he is wild caught, I would probably have him checked out by a vet to make sure he doesn't have internal (or external!) parasites.

Good luck!

Nanci
04-17-2007, 01:34 PM
Let's just say he _does_ have internal parasites. It'd be a miracle to find a WC snake that didn't, unless you watched it hatch.

Nanci

darkmorning1
04-17-2007, 01:51 PM
yeah i noticed he went to the bathroom this morning but i will still wait after he settles down im taking him to the vet just to make sure

Nanci
04-17-2007, 01:55 PM
That's a good idea, then you can start out with a clean snake and avoid problems months or years from now. Plus it's always nice ot have your vet familiar with an animal before you have to make an emergency visit.

Nanci

darkmorning1
04-17-2007, 02:01 PM
yeah i dont think my vet knows alot about snakes.(the one i take my sog/cat/rabbit/everything else too) but there are snake "vets" (i didnt know they where even real) that work at a snake shop near me. they said that i can bring it there they will look at it tell me if its a girl or boy and see if its ok. since they have so many snakes they have there own vet

Russell
04-17-2007, 02:10 PM
very pretty little fellow! And yeah, finding experienced snake people can help you get him free of any internal parasites and tell you if it is a boy or a girl. Looking good so far! Congrats on your new pet. Very nice.

Nanci
04-17-2007, 03:11 PM
So you need a preferably fresh poo to look for parasites. You could take the one you have and put it in a ziplock in the fridge if you're taking him to the vet soon.

Nanci

darkmorning1
04-17-2007, 04:33 PM
ok thank you for the help.

attackturtle
04-17-2007, 07:09 PM
http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/7168/crittercagesij3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

This looks a lot like what I have. Perhaps I should give it a second chance? If I do, Ill try the paperclip through that locking hole. (I will use a nail though) Im going to keep painter tapeing her in for now.

attackturtle
04-17-2007, 07:14 PM
whoops,,, wrong thread,, sorry....

darkmorning1
04-17-2007, 09:16 PM
thats ok nice tank ( :

woodz61
04-26-2007, 10:51 AM
To give that corn its true name it is a Miami phase corn.

Vinman
04-26-2007, 11:30 AM
To give that corn its true name it is a Miami phase corn.

No ,not at all. That is just a common colored corn from the wild of Fl. It will brown out as it reaches adult hood . The top of the back in between the saddles will be the color. The backround color will be a orange to tan/ orange, The bloches will be a Indian red to burnt orange. That is typical colored corn from Fl. That is a nice healthy snake. Nice find good luck with it .Let us know more about how it is doing, looking forward to see it as a adult

woodz61
04-26-2007, 11:36 AM
It's Miami phase,

It has deep red saddles on rich grey - miami phase

Normal phase are more orange

Roy Munson
04-26-2007, 12:30 PM
It's Miami phase,

It has deep red saddles on rich grey - miami phase

Normal phase are more orange
Nope-- it's not Miami phase. The snake has a gray and tan ground color, but that doesn't disqualify it. What does disqualify it is the amount of orange you can see on the ground color, particularly between the saddles on the neck. This orange will spread and eventually saturate the ground color.

Vinman
04-26-2007, 12:32 PM
you are only looking at the side of the snake pic is fuzzy but if you look close you will see that the side is not all gray. I have miami phase and have had loads of wild stock Fl. corns over many years . That is a typical Fl corn look at all the pics and you will see all the orange on the back of the animal. a snake of that size would not have that much orange on it.

Thanx Roy I'm glad you see what I see

woodz61
04-26-2007, 12:35 PM
The second photo shows that the ground colour is grey.

The third photo has an orange tinge to it because it has been taken through the plastic viv (which has a orange tinge)

kentuckycorns
04-26-2007, 12:51 PM
The second photo shows that the ground colour is grey.

The third photo has an orange tinge to it because it has been taken through the plastic viv (which has a orange tinge)

that is not a miami, look at the third picture from the top you can see the orange along the spine between the saddles and if its the cage then why is it so strong in those spots? in the first two pics at a glance it looks similar to a miami but if you look close you can see the burnt orange in all the pictures especially the third one. so its def. not a miami phase :bang:

woodz61
04-26-2007, 12:56 PM
I cant judge on the first pic as It wont load for me. It looks like a miami in the second and a norm in the third.

could be a hybrid! he he.

Anyways, nice specimen

tyflier
04-26-2007, 01:37 PM
I cant judge on the first pic as It wont load for me. It looks like a miami in the second and a norm in the third.

Anyways, nice specimen
Couldn't be a "hybrid" either, because a Miami IS a corn...

And it is way too orange to be Miami phase. Take a look at some of Carol's recent Miami offspring pictures...

kentuckycorns
04-27-2007, 08:17 AM

Anyways, nice specimen

a hybrid???? i am assuming your talking about mixing a normal and a miami, but how is that a hybrid??? unless i missed the note saying that miami's are now considered ratsnakes! :grin01:

darkmorning1
04-27-2007, 08:23 AM
i put another post up with new pics to get a better look. on "you told me it was a corn snake but what kind: somthing like that