• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

HELP!!!!!!

Noel_Gallagher

Ive been really bad to my corn. On monday nite i left a mouse for her to eat but on tuesday morning i realised shed left it. Anyway I then got tangle up in some family problems and so forgot about the mouse until Wednesday. I went to her tank to get it and it was still there and looked fine but i knew i had to bin it, i went downstairs to get a bag for it but when i came back up she'd started eating it, i tried to stop her but it was too late. Should she be ok or will this make her ill?. Thanks for your help in advance

Oh man, she's gonna have one hella stomach ache. Just hope to god she regurgitates that sucker before anything starts to grow. and you're gonna need to take that snake to the vet anyhow to get bacteria cultures done because that mouse will undboubtedly be carrying tons of bacteria on it by now (most of which will kill even us humans). Hope your snake has the immune system to hold up. Good luck.

-13mur 6

bad news

i did that last year with my adult male................HE DIED before i had chance to do anything about it.sorry.

GOOD LUCK NOEL'S SNAKE.

HOPE IT REGURGES AND SOON.

ALL THE BEST............................STEVE

Hey Noel

So what happened? Is your snake alright? You take him to the vet?

-13mur 6

Hey, I did same thing. Pretzel was in an 'I'm not going to eat when it's convenient for you' mood so I left a mouse (f/t) in the tank. Checked a couple of hours later and it had gone (or so I thought). Turns out he'd dragged the mouse under his bark hide and left it. I did same thing as you, went downstairs to get bag to dispose of mouse but it was too late. Pretzel was fine after. No regurge, no stomach upsets etc and he's eting fine now. Hopefully this will be same for your snake!

Oh and before anyone goes crazy about feeding in the tank, I had paper towels as substrate so it was ok :D

If your snake ate the mouse, it must have sensed that the mouse was still pretty OK to eat. I seriously doubt that a snake would eat something that was very spoiled. If your snake doesn't regurg, it should be fine and no need to take it to a vet unless it starts actually showing signs of illness.

Hey,
Thanks for all the replys!, Snake seems fine, no regurge, no signs of discomfort and she managed another mouse today (fresh tho!), Like someone said, if the snake ate it it obviously thought it was ok, i mean i would eat a burger that stunk of bacteria so neither would she!

wow....you're lucky.
make sure to try and avoid anything like this again...

you'd never know when a mice does actually carry tons of harmful bacteria and it swallows it and dies afterward...you're going to blame yourself later on....

just be more careful.

Good Luck and Happy Herping!

So....There is something good to be said about feeding live.

I'm not a big fan of it, I just felt like playing the devils advocate.

hi could anyone tell me if snakes are usually quiet and less active when they are ready to shed also mines doesent seem to want to be handled at the moment either its quite jumpy,also could you plese tell me if my feeding routine is ok, my snake is a creamsicle 4 and a half months old feeds good but any way i feed it on a friday and a tuesday on a pinkie also i leave it for 2 days before handling it, but if i feed it on the tuesday that only gives me 2 days of handling and if i feed on the friday i have to leave it till sunday at least then i can only handle it on the monday, cause i dont like to handle the snake on the day its going to be fed cause a lot of you say that that could be the cause if the snake doesnt feed, so i was wanting to know if any one can maybe give me a better feeding idea so that i have more time to handle the snake thanks for any advice. should i feed the snake if its going to shed and its quiet.

Hi....

Yes when about to shed snakes generally like more privacy, don't like being held as much and sometimes some of them won't eat during this time. They feel a bit vunerable because their eyes are also getting ready to shed and become cloudy, impairing their vision.

You don't have to fed your snake each Tuesday and Friday (example) you can fed it every five days. Your snake doesn't go by our calander, and has no idea he isn't getting fed on the same "day" so every five days would be roughly the same amount of food and give you handling time

bmm

feeding

Matt L said:
So....There is something good to be said about feeding live.

I'm not a big fan of it, I just felt like playing the devils advocate.

we never have to feed life prey...we can prekill it...leave it in for about 5 hours...if not eaten...freese it and use it for next time...
and now i know ill get some ppl on me cause i do prekills but i had a snake been bitten bij a mouse really really bad...and i will never have that again...
mariska

Question

hello i'm new to the site... but i have a few ??? did the mouse that you started to feed to him frozen.... b/c we got a mouse my corn and she wouldnt eat him so i took him out but the thing is i still have him he's alive aka fresh and i was wondring if i could give it to her again later and or should i just let him lose outside is he safe for me ??? i guess i'm just full of ????:confused:

TrineonX said:
On the flip side, live mice carry parasites. Atleast that is what I've been told.

Yeah but so can f/t. they can carry parasite eggs which aren't destroyed by freezing.

Back