PDA

View Full Version : found my corn after 8 months!

found my corn after 8 months!

morbidx666xmind
04-22-2007, 10:57 AM
she was the first snake i've had (carolina corn)but escaped last september.she was only a hatchling when i got her but this morning i heard my neighbour screaming outside the window that a snake fell on her inside her shed so i rushed out into her garden and their she was! i've brought her in and put her in a clean ice cream tub and cut slits in cling film for the top .also put in kitchen roll and tray of water.ive sat it on top of a water bottle which i'm changing every hour(nothing else to use)..but the problem is the poor wee thing looks like the same size from when i first got her which tells me she hasnt eaten much (if at all).so i'll get some pinkies tomorrow but should i try her straight away or leave it a few days? also the tip of her head is hard with muck and seems to be covering most of one eye so has anyone ideas on how to get this off? i've tried bathing her in the sink and gently rubbing a wet cotton bud but doesnt seem to help.shes moving around fine and tried to take my finger off when i first picked her up! but still havent seen her flicked her tongue which ive read is a bad sign...anyone got any advice?

Tula_Montage
04-22-2007, 11:04 AM
Leave her to settle in for the next 5-7 days. Don't try to remove the "muck" as it will only stress her out more. Try offering a very small prey item after she has settled in and leave it in overnight if she does not take it straight away. Do not continue to offer her food constantly if she doesn't take it straight away, leave at least 3 days between offerings. Best of luck with her, I hope she makes it through.

Fordie
04-22-2007, 08:34 PM
Will She Not Escape Through The Cling Film, I Would Have Thought So If That Is All You Have For A Lid, Maybe Poke A Couple Holes Around The Top Of The Ice Cream Tub Going From Inside Out So As Not To Cause Sharp Bits On The Inside And Put A Weighted Peice Of Wood Or A Folder On Top Instead.

Esfa
04-23-2007, 01:18 PM
Will She Not Escape Through The Cling Film, I Would Have Thought So If That Is All You Have For A Lid, Maybe Poke A Couple Holes Around The Top Of The Ice Cream Tub Going From Inside Out So As Not To Cause Sharp Bits On The Inside And Put A Weighted Peice Of Wood Or A Folder On Top Instead.

i was going to say the exact same thing.

also, if she does feed (only a pinky) wait 7 days and give her another pinky. After, try to remove the muck like you were before, if it doesnt come off i suggest a visit to the vet.

morbidx666xmind
04-23-2007, 04:15 PM
thanks for the replys! ended up phoning the local wildlife rescue centre this morning who sent an employee who'll keep her at her own place (she has 3 corns of her own).sad to see her go but havent the money/supplies to look after her..least now she'll be taken care of properlly..

Nanci
04-23-2007, 04:16 PM
Good for you for making the best decision for the snake.

Nanci

Fordie
04-23-2007, 04:54 PM
Oooo, harsh, good decision though, better than those who just assume everything'll be ok and find a dead snake in a couple weeks.

Esfa
04-24-2007, 11:53 AM
nice decision.

terry fielder
04-24-2007, 12:06 PM
omg he lasted a scotish winter

Chris Steele
04-24-2007, 02:03 PM
Good for you for making the best decision for the snake.

That is amazing that you found it so much later. Corns aren't native in scotland are they? So it is positively the same snake?

Yvonne112
04-25-2007, 02:50 PM
will you be getting her back eventually? I hope she pulls through, she's been through alot, the poor wee thing!

Jimmus
04-25-2007, 05:05 PM
omg he lasted a scotish winter

Yea bloody hell thats impressive stuff. I think you have a new morph there 'Arctic Normal - Het Eskimo'

Congratz on getting the little wriggler back and nice decision passing her on. Not sure a hot water bottle and ice cream tub is exactly penthouse accomodation hehe :grin01:

:cheers:

morbidx666xmind
05-02-2007, 05:17 PM
yeah i know i was shocked aswell as the weathers been horrific here over the winter! i think shes been living in my neighbours shed though..I doubt i'll get her back as already have a 4ft rainbow boa to take care off so havent the room :( I've got the lady's number though so will phone and see how shes getting on..