PDA

View Full Version : more active at the minute...

more active at the minute...

Filovirus
02-20-2003, 03:06 AM
Kellogg is really active a the moment... out from under her hides more.. hanging from branches climbing up the glass that kinda thing... even when she is in her hide her head seems to be out and keeping watch.. it's kinda cool to see her out and about, but i was wondering is there anything that might be worrying her..

when i handle her she seems as happy and inquisative as usual..

on another thread... is it me or does she feel more comfortable with me now..?? do snakes get use to handlers..??

have a whoooping thursday.. !!!

Bob :eek:

13mur 6
02-20-2003, 11:42 AM
The smell of spring is in the air. Maybe she's just really horny and looking for a hubby. :D

-13mur 6

kenalotia
02-20-2003, 09:48 PM
Yup, spring time and breeding season can make snakes pretty active. :D In answer to your other question, yes, snakes do get used to handlers. It's even more obvious when you have a new person handle the snake, and see the difference in the snake's response.

When I'd had Bonnie only about a month, I went away for a weekend and my boyfriend fed her. When he picked her up to move her to her feeding enclosure, she wriggled and writhed around trying to escape. With me, on the other hand, she'd been quite calm. :) So, yes, they do grow to recognize you trust you with time.

Filovirus
02-21-2003, 03:01 AM
thought so... cos i never have any problems now... not that i did before.. but once in a while she'd get jumpy when i went into the viv to get her out...

thanks for your replies

mariska
02-26-2003, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by kenalotia
Yup, spring time and breeding season can make snakes pretty active. :D In answer to your other question, yes, snakes do get used to handlers. It's even more obvious when you have a new person handle the snake, and see the difference in the snake's response.

When I'd had Bonnie only about a month, I went away for a weekend and my boyfriend fed her. When he picked her up to move her to her feeding enclosure, she wriggled and writhed around trying to escape. With me, on the other hand, she'd been quite calm. :) So, yes, they do grow to recognize you trust you with time.

they do get used to the person who feeds them...
just an example...my snow snake (most tame snake i have really, i even give it to kids when they are interested cause i know it wont bite) did bite my friend when he tried to handle it for some examination...maybe it was stress maybe he was hungry or maybe even in the "mood" but this snake that had neven biten anyone....did bite that friend...weird but true...and untill this day i still give out that snake to kids en i can do really anything i want with him(helping shed) he had never bitten again...

mariska