PDA

View Full Version : Does it matter?

Does it matter?

Danny C
02-21-2003, 03:54 AM
I have two corns i the same tank, both of which feed where ever they want, in the tank, out of the tank they dont really care.

Do i have to seperate them when feeding or is it ok to do it when they are both there. At the moment im feeding them seperatly.

bmm
02-21-2003, 04:32 AM
I am not saying it is right or wrong to keep them together but here are some *facts* that are true no matter which road you take.

1. All snakes are solitary creatures, and as such most do better living alone. Although obviously there are cases where they do not mind.

2. Living together, you won't be able to tell which is sick (if they ever get ill) which regurged or which had bad poo or what. And if one is sick the other will catch it if its passable because they live together.

3. Early breeding.. If you happen to have a pair, an early breeding can mean death or a serious vet trip if she becomes egg bound. Again, not always the case but this "worst case scenario" isn't by any means rare.

4. Feeding together is not a good idea. As tehy get larger especially, they can become very excited during food time. Which can cause both snakes to grab same mouse, or even each other. Cannabilism in corns is not unheard of although mostly happens with hatchlings. But during a feeding situation the risk is certainly higher. Keep feeding them apart.

Hope that gives you some ideas. :)

bmm

Danny C
02-21-2003, 04:48 AM
:D thanks again :D

Clutch Master
02-23-2003, 09:58 AM
I would highly recommend feeding, or even keeping, your snakes in seperate inclosures. A few weeks ago, it was feeding time for my snakes. I had 2 snakes together in the same tank, fed them, and made sure they were completely done eating thier mouse before leaving, as always. The tank is opposite my bed, and I woke up about 11pm, heard some scuffeling, and turnd on my light to find the 2 head-locked. Jack, one of the snakes, had a grip on Beaus(the other snake) head. Talk about a rush! I frantically took the lid off and was able to separate their heads by dislodging thier teeth from each other. Needless to say they are both in sparate tanks now. Both are doing fine and eating well. Boy did I luck out, they both would have been dead in the morning if I hadn't caught them! I'll never be able to think of Jack in the same way:(

CowBoyWay
02-23-2003, 10:46 AM
Clutchmaster, You've gained some valuable first hand experience, you got lucky this time, probably mousee odor on the breath or snakes skin that got things going.

Thanks for sharing that, you've probably saved a corn or twos life somewhere in world, by posting.

It's one of those things, where it's not a problem till it's problem, and then It's a big one. Live and learn.

Matt L
02-23-2003, 09:36 PM
Very Good Advice!

If any of you have ever had to try to pull 2 snakes apart, this is not easily acomplished. I have had some of my kingsnakes lock up while attemping to breed them. I would recomend feeding and housing individually. Yeah-Yeah--I know I never had any problems housing my corns together. ---eventually you will!