• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

New wild.....

bonaventure

I have a wild corn that I have had for three days now. I tried a pinky twice,where she just mouthed it....spit it out ,and made a "face".I then bought her a live mouse.It ran around and all over the snake.....but the snake seemed totally disinterested.i stunned the mouse....but still nothing.Help.....Im a novice!!!!

Well first, if you've only had the snake for three days, and you've been baragaging it with all this food, slow down. The snake needs to settle in first, give him another 4 days or so beore you try to hold him, try to feed him etc.
Now then, because he is a wild snake you might have more problems than normal getting him to eat. I suggest you take a look at our Feeding FAQ here it has a lot of helpful info on what to do when trying to get snakes, especially problimatic ones to eat :
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28342

Well judging by the information it's not illegal where they live, just because it's illegal for us in NJ doesn't mean others can't bring in WC snakes...

Corny Noob said:
Well judging by the information it's not illegal where they live, just because it's illegal for us in NJ doesn't mean others can't bring in WC snakes...
um..ok I just meant that you shouldn't catch snakes from the wild. Not that you can't.

How does one identify the sex of the snake? Yes ,I will take ya'lls advice on all these matters.I just dont want to stress her/him out in any way.I just saw her near my kennels( Im a retriever trainer) and gently picked her up and she seemed very friendly with me.I put her in a 20 gal high aquarium with wood chips,a hide and light ....with a bowl of water.She seems to like to sit in the easy chair with me,and slither around.I got online and am in the process of learning how to properly take care of her.If I cant feed her sucessfully I will gladly turn her loose.

Thanks,
Jay

bonaventure said:
How does one identify the sex of the snake? Yes ,I will take ya'lls advice on all these matters.I just dont want to stress her/him out in any way.I just saw her near my kennels( Im a retriever trainer) and gently picked her up and she seemed very friendly with me.I put her in a 20 gal high aquarium with wood chips,a hide and light ....with a bowl of water.She seems to like to sit in the easy chair with me,and slither around.I got online and am in the process of learning how to properly take care of her.If I cant feed her sucessfully I will gladly turn her loose.

Thanks,
Jay
you can't tell the sex by looking at the snake. you have to probe it or pop it. ask a vet to do it, not yourself though, you mighy hurt him/her. also use reptile bark instead of wood chips it works much better. if you have any questions you can e-mail me at [email protected] :)

Sexing visually

It can be done if you have seen enough and know what to look for. Of course, like some people, there are those that could be either. :sidestep:

What you should look at specifically is the tales. (The tail being the portion of the body past the cloaca "the genital area")
The male's tail will taper slowly, and be longer. The females will taper very quickly and be shorter.
Like Snakepunk said though, sometimes you just won't be able to tell with a method like that. To be sure you should take it to a vet to get it probed.
And, since it's wild, if you plan to keep it, you should take it to a vet anyways, to get it checked out for parasites.

Back