PDA

View Full Version : How To Herp - By Skychimp

How To Herp - By Skychimp

SkyChimp
04-29-2007, 09:14 PM
I went to let my little garter snake go today. Afterwards, I decided to go poke around for a couple of hours to see what I could find. When herping, it's important to do it right, like I did today.

SkyChimp's Rules for Successful Herping

1) Don't bring a hat. You don't look cool in one, and a crew cut is sufficient to protect your head from sunburn.

2) Don't bring any OFF. Ticks only like deer blood. And mayflies only come out in May.

3) Don't bring your snake gaiters. You won't need them, especially if there are cottonmouths around. And greenbriar thorns don't hurt.

4) Never bring fully charged batteries for your camera, and never bring a spare set. Anything worth photographing will be there tomorrow when you do bring good batteries.

5) Leave your water in the truck. It's too heavy to carry and it won't get over 72 degrees, like the weatherman said.

6) If you do find something worth photographing, make sure your photos are out-of-focus, that way they look like modern art.

7) If you decided to sit down in the woods, find a nice patch of holly leaves for utmost comfort.

Anyways, a few parting shots with my garter, and some other finds...

SkyChimp
04-29-2007, 09:15 PM
some more...

SkyChimp
04-29-2007, 09:16 PM
and a few more...

The green bug was really cool looking

Jay@PJCReptiles
04-30-2007, 10:52 PM
Nice pictures Chimp. Looks to me like you had a good herpin' day. One thing though, if we ever go herping together someday please remind me to do the exact opposite of everything you do. :grin01: :sidestep:
Jay :cool:

snakemom1961
05-03-2007, 10:22 AM
love the boxie! Always said if I found a boxie I'd like to keep one, but I know how difficult they are and(here in michigan) how unlawful it is to keep one, hence if I ever found one it would be admired then left alone in the woods where it belonged.

Looks like a great day you had!

Joolz68
05-05-2007, 12:41 AM
if we ever go herping together someday please remind me to do the exact opposite of everything you do. :grin01: :sidestep:
Jay :cool:So these steps were wrong? :confused:
And after I committed them to memory! :headbang:

howhigh402
05-09-2007, 12:36 PM
what exactly is herping?

Joolz68
05-10-2007, 02:40 AM
what exactly is herping?Doing what herpetologists do.

herpetology: study of reptiles

howhigh402
05-10-2007, 07:15 AM
oo ok i got ya...fun stuff i guess....i can't do anything around me cuz there isnt any places werer reptiles would be