PDA

View Full Version : Food Supply Strategy

Food Supply Strategy

GregF
04-30-2007, 12:37 AM
Our 20g male is ready to move off his reduced "settling in" diet and I'm trying to figure out the best way to provide him with the right size F/T mice. Our local pet store charges $1.75 each (any size) and when I went in yesterday for large pinks, they didn't have any, so I'm also concerned about their reliability (I bought 4 smalls, just to have on hand).

I could order large pinks (3.5g) from The Mouse Factory but their minimum order of 50 is like an 8 month supply. I haven't been able to find anyone locally to split an order with and I don't want to have a bunch of them left over when he's ready to move to fuzzies. Of course, even if I only used half of them, I'd still come out ahead on cost, versus buying from the pet store. It's the principle of the thing...

Any suggestions?

snakemom1961
04-30-2007, 06:41 AM
If it were me I'd get the 50 large pinks and if and when the time comes that your snake has outgrown 1 large pink I'd finish off the rest by feeding him 2 at a time till gone then go up to fuzzies. Hope this helps, and good luck!

GregF
04-30-2007, 09:50 AM
I'd be a little concerned about doubling the size of his feeding all at once. According to The Mouse Factory, a large pink = 3.5g and a fuzzy = 5-7g. Maybe it would be a good idea if I set aside the smallest of the pinks to use when the time came to double up.

Joejr14
04-30-2007, 10:05 AM
Buy another snake and order from TMF. Simple solution.

antsterr
04-30-2007, 10:04 PM
Buy another snake and order from TMF. Simple solution.

that's what I would do :cheers:

You could look for a local mouse breeder. If you have a local reptile society it would be a good place to check.

tyflier
04-30-2007, 10:20 PM
Our 20g male is ready to move off his reduced "settling in" diet and I'm trying to figure out the best way to provide him with the right size F/T mice. Our local pet store charges $1.75 each (any size) and when I went in yesterday for large pinks, they didn't have any, so I'm also concerned about their reliability (I bought 4 smalls, just to have on hand).

I could order large pinks (3.5g) from The Mouse Factory but their minimum order of 50 is like an 8 month supply. I haven't been able to find anyone locally to split an order with and I don't want to have a bunch of them left over when he's ready to move to fuzzies. Of course, even if I only used half of them, I'd still come out ahead on cost, versus buying from the pet store. It's the principle of the thing...

Any suggestions?
Tuolomne California as in Tuolomne Meadows? If you are on the eastside of the Sierras, shoot me an email. Tuolomne Meadows is only about an hour and a half drive from my door. Perhaps we can work something out.

I don't know where, exactly Tuolomne, CA is, but if you're anywhere near me, I would split and order with you, plus I could get you a couple small-ish fuzzies to get you through.

Let me know where you are. I am 45 miles south of Mammoth Lakes(Mammoth Mountain Ski Area).

GregF
04-30-2007, 11:17 PM
Tuolumne is on the western slope of the Sierras, in Sonora Pass. Tuolumne Meadows is at the top of Tioga Pass, which is close to Yosemite, and the next pass south of us. Sadly, it would take many hours to drive from Tuolumne to Bishop but I sure appreciate the thought (I sent you a PM, Chris).

I ordered 50 large pinks from TMF today and they'll be here in time for our next feeding. BTW, my son and I had our first handling session with Slithers this evening and it went really well. He settled down pretty easily (the snake that is; my son is still bouncing off the walls) and after about 10 minutes we set him back in his cage. He's cruising around now, none the worse for wear. We'll do a little more tomorrow night. Pretty much fun...

tyflier
05-01-2007, 01:17 AM
Glad you got it squared away. Yea...a drive from the west side of Sonora pass down to Bishop would be a pretty ridiculous drive...

But if you ever find yourself in my neck of the woods, don't hesitate to look me up and say Hi...

jaxom1957
05-02-2007, 12:35 AM
Tuolumne is on the western slope of the Sierras, in Sonora Pass. Tuolumne Meadows is at the top of Tioga Pass, which is close to Yosemite, and the next pass south of us. Sadly, it would take many hours to drive from Tuolumne to Bishop but I sure appreciate the thought (I sent you a PM, Chris).Sorry I didn't see your post sooner. I send in a TMF order every month, and could have piggybacked your order with mine. I'm always getting at least a hundred mice, and Modesto is closer to Tuolumne.