PDA

View Full Version : Behavior?

Behavior?

pumkinhead
04-29-2002, 07:13 PM
We have a baby candy cane corn and it keeps opening its mouth and like clicking its jaws. Is that normal behavior,or he getting ready to shed or what ? Can someone tell us please. He eats 2 pinkys every week and seems very healthy. What do I do? Thanks!!

Iris
05-01-2002, 04:21 PM
Well mine occasionally opens his mouth in a "yawn" usually after swallowing a pinkie, but I've never heard a clicking noise or anything and very rarely opens his mouth at other times.

Sounds like (POSSIBLY, but I'm NOT an expert!) a respiratory infection...but I'm sure someone with more experience with RI's can help you out.

vbgrafx
05-01-2002, 05:28 PM
i'm no expert either, and this example may prove so, but when i first started collecting snakes i started off with a baby ball python. the retarded pet store lady told me that he would look beautiful on white sand. well, within two weeks i was hearing a popping sound coming from its mouth. when i started seeing white bubbles around his mouth i took him to the vet. the vet gave him some medicine and told me to get a new substrate. i did, and he got better. so, it's possible that what iris said may be true. may be a respiratory infection. couldn't hurt to check that out.

jjunner
05-01-2002, 08:01 PM
If he is opening his jaws like that after feeding then it is quite possible he is just re-aligning his jaws after separating them to eat.

May not be the best answer, but its a thought.

tigerlou
05-02-2002, 11:07 PM
Hi there, don't worry about the clicking sound, it normal the snkake is trying to put its jaw back into place...:) Tigerlou

Jr Nimeskern
05-03-2002, 12:01 AM
HMMM some people think that it might be a normal thing for the popping sound... but none of my corns make a popping sound when they open their mouths... I would guess that it might be RI just to be safe I would bring it to the vet. like grafx said that it could be the substrate... I would recommend aspen...

My 2 cents worth

lynn
05-03-2002, 04:20 PM
can't say I've noticed mine making a popping sound when they are putting their jaw's right, might be worthwhile getting it checked by a vet.

pumkinhead
05-03-2002, 06:12 PM
:cool: thanks for all the info and help.I found out that he was getting ready for sheddind :) now he's had a pinky and doing FINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!