PDA

View Full Version : Scale problem

Scale problem

Greggi
05-02-2007, 04:56 AM
Hi all,

Wondering if anyone can advise me.
While handling my 2yr old corn last night i noticed a small patch of scales, about halfway down his length, that appear to be sticking out (as if they are pealing off). The tip of each scale that is almost fanned out from the rest, looks to be a grey colour.

btw he is a Carolina corn.

I have never noticed anything like this on him before.....bit worried.

Can anyone help?

Serpent2007
05-02-2007, 07:52 AM
hi im no expert but could it be scale rot how humid is the tank and often does he/she soak in her dish?

snakemom1961
05-02-2007, 08:05 AM
If you could, Posting pictures of the scales may help to determine what may be wrong.

Greggi
05-02-2007, 10:18 AM
i found this thread through search.

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7656&highlight=scale+problems

It kinda sounds like my prob. Best description i have thought of so far is looks a bit like a pine cone. He should look like a pine cone when its closed. But this patch on his side looks like when a pine cone opens a little.

snakemom1961: I cant really get a picture because all i have is my mobile phone with a camera on it. And trying to take a picture while holding him with the other hand is nigh on impossible. lol

Serpent2007
05-02-2007, 12:15 PM
hi gregi google scale rot and if the pics resemble wat u think is wrong wit urs reply here with the pic that best describes your snakes scales.........good luck :cheers:

luvmycorn
12-15-2007, 08:20 PM
my corn has the same thing, i think it will be fine as long as the scale isnt torn off, scale rott is greyish brown or pink soars between the scales and that doesnt sound like ur snake, just wait and see what happends in his next shed.

grimm1
12-16-2007, 01:26 AM
i took in a rescue boa that had the same problem, it was because he was a little dehydrated and to confined(spent most of his time curled up). i gave him room to stretch(larger cage) and bigger water dish. couple sheds later and is all good. maybe he's just spending to much time in his hide or the humidity low. if it is scale rot there would also be some discoloration of the scales.

luvmycorn
12-16-2007, 12:30 PM
corns mostly spend most of their time curled up. after a few sheds yours and mine should be A ok.