PDA

View Full Version : Will they get sick???

Will they get sick???

ButtersCorns4life
05-05-2007, 11:25 AM
Hey, I'm sick, is it OK to still hold my snakes??? Or will they catch what I have??? I've heard on different books and websites, that they can catch it, and others say they cant, can you help me out plz???

Thanks, Butters

Tula_Montage
05-05-2007, 11:33 AM
They will be fine :-p They cannot contract the same kind of diseases we do... excluding salmonella etc

ButtersCorns4life
05-05-2007, 12:13 PM
OK thanks, But I have also heard that turtles can have certain disease that we can catch, is that true??? :rolleyes: Thanks for all your help by the way.

snakemom1961
05-05-2007, 12:23 PM
OK thanks, But I have also heard that turtles can have certain disease that we can catch, is that true??? :rolleyes: Thanks for all your help by the way.

Yes, turtles are notorious for carrying salmonella. Which is why you want to make sure you wash well after handling them. Snakes also can carry salmonella which you can get from handling, which is why I always make sure I wash after handling each of my snakes. Or atleast use hand sanitizer after handling any critter. Hope this helps.

ButtersCorns4life
05-05-2007, 01:20 PM
WOW i didnt know snakes also carried things like that, wow now I know to wash my hands!!! lol

suecornish
05-05-2007, 03:01 PM
I guess this is one way of getting a 13 year old to wash his hands. Give him/her a corn snake.

Corn snakes of the world unite. Adopt a 13 year old. :crazy02:

Salmonella is common in reptiles but it doesn't make them sick; but, it will make humans sick, sometimes cause death depending on the age of the person, if they don't have good hygene practices. So, just make sure you was your hands before and after handling your snake or any other reptile. It's good to wash before cause you can have something on your hands that, smell wish, might make the snake think your hands are food and strike; and, after so you don't get sick.

Frankly, I worry more about Lizzy than the snakes as she poops in the tub when we give her her nightly bath. To me, I think snakes are cleaner.

ButtersCorns4life
05-05-2007, 06:59 PM
I guess this is one way of getting a 13 year old to wash his hands. Give him/her a corn snake.

LOL!!
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

snakepunk
05-08-2007, 09:39 AM
You can get salmonella from being licked by dogs and cats, too. The good folks at :-puke01: PETA want you to think it's only from reptiles. Kathy Love has some very good information on her website about reptiles and salmonella http://www.cornutopia.com/Corn%20Utopia%20on%20the%20Web/-%20LURKING%20ENEMY%20Cornutopia%20corn%20snakes%20 cornsnakes.htm.