PDA

View Full Version : tumor, won't eat

tumor, won't eat

audrey ellen
05-07-2007, 01:36 PM
I just got my cornsnake back from a friend who babysat it as i was away at school. He has a marshmallow size lump and hasn't eaten for 2 months. I am upset and don't know what to do. He is 7 years old and has always been in excellent health, never had any problems.
Does anyone know anything about this? What should I do?
Please let me know! Thank you.

Nanci
05-07-2007, 02:19 PM
Sounds like it's time for a vet visit. Are you positive it's a male? Where exactly is the lump located?

Nanci

tbtusk
05-07-2007, 02:21 PM
I have no better idea than you on what this is.

How long has the snake been in the care of your friend, and how knowledgable is you're friend? I don't mean to be harsh to you or the person taking care of you're snake, I just want to make sure their was nothing wrong with the condition the snake was being held in.

Also, have you tried braining, cutting, scenting, or f/k mice to see if the snake will take them? You should try these, just to get some food in the guy. My large female went off food for over 3 months, laid eggs, and is just starting to eat again, so your guy won't starve to death yet, as corns can go 3+ months without any food.

Of course, the lump is worrysome. If you don't get any more knowledgeable people with some good ideas on what's wrong with the poor guy I would get him to a herp vet asap, at least to get checked out.

hope he does better! And sorry I don't have more ideas.

Nanci
05-07-2007, 02:41 PM
Probably a vet visit is going to run around $35 for a check up, not counting any tests. I definitely think he should be seen.

Nanci

audrey ellen
05-07-2007, 02:56 PM
i just called one in the phone book for exotic pets, they said $135.00 without any medication or tests, just to be seen.
that seems really high to me.

dawnrenee2000
05-07-2007, 02:59 PM
That sounds really high to me too. My vets office visit is $45. 00

Drizzt80
05-07-2007, 03:13 PM
A. My pure assumption is that it's a female and not a male and probably has a bound egg.

How long was it with your friend. Was it housed with another snake at all during that time (even without, it could be a slug). If the snake is getting more lethargic I would lean even further towards it being egg-bound. Without (you) having personal experience with breeding etc, I would definitely recommend seeing a local vet for confirmation. That's about the best can be done without seeing the snake in person or having a picture (which would help somewhat, but not definite).

:shrugs:
D80

Nanci
05-07-2007, 04:54 PM
The lump is in the upper quarter of the body...

Nanci

Drizzt80
05-07-2007, 05:15 PM
The lump is in the upper quarter of the body...Sorry to be picky, but you discerned that information from where in her two posts . . .
i just called one in the phone book for exotic pets, they said $135.00 without any medication or tests, just to be seen.
that seems really high to me.I just got my cornsnake back from a friend who babysat it as i was away at school. He has a marshmallow size lump and hasn't eaten for 2 months. I am upset and don't know what to do. He is 7 years old and has always been in excellent health, never had any problems.
Does anyone know anything about this? What should I do?
Please let me know! Thank you.

:shrugs: Of course, if she PM'ed you and you got that information privately well then yes, it would change my current opinion on the situation. With the information provided (or not provided) I came to my assumption I did . . . :grin01:

D80

Roy Munson
05-07-2007, 05:22 PM
Sorry to be picky, but you discerned that information from where in her two posts . . .

:shrugs: Of course, if she PM'ed you and you got that information privately well then yes, it would change my current opinion on the situation. With the information provided (or not provided) I came to my assumption I did . . . :grin01: She probably PM'd Nanci. She PM'd me, and included the location info. Bound egg was my first thought too until she said that it was 1/4 of the way down the body from the head. She mentioned crypto, but the bulge doesn't seem to be in the right place for that either. My guess was enlarged heart. I have zero experience with this, but I saw a post somewhere recently about it. But heck, it could be a lot of things, and only a herp vet will know for sure. I gave her a link to listings of herp vets (herpconnection.com, I think).

Drizzt80
05-07-2007, 05:31 PM
She probably PM'd Nanci. She PM'd me, and included the location info. Bound egg was my first thought too until she said that it was 1/4 of the way down the body from the head.Well isn't that just fine and dandy . . . I didn't get PM'ed that vital information . . . :cry: :cry:

Like you quoted from my post (Thanks Dean!), that definitely changes my opinion away from egg bound. I'd definitely see a vet.

D80

Nanci
05-07-2007, 06:16 PM
Maybe she thought she would be less trouble by PMing people. But the more people who see the post, the more likely she is that someone will have run across something like it.

Every time I hear about a mysterious lump, that isn't an egg, I think of this girl, who it turned out had an enlarged pericardium- cause unknown. This snake was with a doting, attentive breeder and got immediate vet care, and still didn't make it.

tbtusk
05-07-2007, 06:28 PM
That's sad.

I hope this corn dopes better!