• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

when to move up to next size mice?

LittleL

Hi,

I brought my first corn snake on Monday ... the pet shop recommended i fed him two small pinkies every 7 - 9 days..

I fed him for the first time last night, two small pinkies and he seem to have no problems with them.. they were gone in seconds! (plus there wasn't really a noticable bulge once he had consumed them)

He was born approx the begainning of October 06 and is about 1 1/2 - 2 foot long...

I just wondered (being a total newbie to snakes) when i should consider moving him up to bigger size mice?

Also what is the next size up from pinkies? peach fuzzies or fuzzies? and once i move him onto the next size up, would i still stick to feeding two mice at a time or move down to just one?

Please can someone help and give me a rough idea?

many thanks
Laura

http://tinyurl.com/38pt4n

Here's a feeding chart. You can buy an inexpensive gram scale at Target or Walmart- then you can weigh both the snake and the prey and know exactly what's going on.

You can't really go by age or length- but a rule of thumb is feed a prey item 1-1.5 times the snake's body diameter. If the lump is gone the next day, move up one size.

Nanci

Well around here we feel the most efficient way is to go buy....dun dun dun!
THE MUNSON PLAN!:
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50106
Of course if you don't have a scale this is a moot point.

If the food isn't leaving a bulge you are more than welcome to try moving up to the next size, an 06 should probally be on fuzzies anyway.
Also at the age your snake is at, the reason I feel your snake will be hungirly snatching it's food up is because it should probally be feed 4-5 days as opposed to a week or more.
Regardless, the other rule of thumb is to feed the snake something 1.5x's their size.

Hope this helps!

LittleL said:
Now i just have to weight him right??!
If you don't have a scale, judge it the old-fashioned way: if you can't see a bump the day after feeding, move to larger food.

I don't have a scale and this is the biggest problem I have... I never know when to move up size.

My snake is currently about 8 months old and I've only moved her up to Rat Pups/Small Mice about 4 weeks ago... She seems to have difficulty getting her mouth around the food, but already she ate 4 rat pups last night :O I think I'll try bigger food next time.

LittleL: when I bought my baby, she was on pinkies, and I think I kept her on pinkies for too long as she was eating 5 at a time... Because her head was really small, I was kinda afraid that she wouldn't be able to manage it.... When I moved her up to fuzzies, she was almost too big for fuzzies and I think I'm too cautious.

I did move her up to bigger mice once and she didn't eat them, but then I think she shed 2-3 days later, so that's probably the reason why she didn't eat. I need to try again.

Back