PDA

View Full Version : how do i help him!!??

how do i help him!!??

squeebo
05-09-2007, 02:02 PM
hi guys, my little corn is shedding but not very nicely.
the first two times he shed it came off in one nice big peace but the last time he shed it was coming off in tiny little bits and just as it it all came off he went strait into blue againand now I'm going through the same thing again.
what concerns me the most is that a little bit was still left on the end of his tail and now hes shedding again but that little bit wont come off.
is there anything i can do to help the little guy get rid of it all?
any input would be great
cheers all
squeebo

tyflier
05-09-2007, 02:24 PM
You could let him soak for about 15 minutes in a bath of lukewarm water, than have him crawl through your hands while holding a moist towel. Apply a slight amount of pressure, just enough so that he has to "work" his way through your grip, and hopefully this will help pull off the old shed.

After the soaking, you could also gently stroke the length of his back and belly with a moistened towel, gently removing any left over skin.

If he has retained eyecaps, the gentle stoking will work, but be sure you are not using alot of pressure around the eyes and face...they don't really like that, too much...

Corny Noob
05-09-2007, 02:31 PM
Tylfier pretty much covered it.
To avoid future issues if you want you can put a humid hide into his enclosure which involves putting something moist (but not dripping, just moist) into a hide for your snake to get the moisture it needs for a good shed.

dustinsmom
05-09-2007, 03:17 PM
I had a similar experience with my snake- 1st shed great- next two were piece-y- I bought a product called ReptiShed- it's a mix of some jojoba oils and other liquid- I check with the local reptile store Scales-n-Tails- and they said many poeple used it and liked it.
So when Charlene went into blue, I jst gave her a little spritz once a day and when she shed, it was complete--we live in a very dry climate and I think this really helped.

squeebo
05-10-2007, 08:44 AM
cheers guys i tried the luke warm thing before i read these messages but i didn't rub him down with a towel, so ill give that a go. and ill also try the humid hide thing 9not sure what it is but ill look it up on here.
and ill keep my eyes open for the shedding spritz stuff.
for now Ive moved his water dish under the heat lamp so hopefully that will help with humidity.
cheers again all
squeebo.

Checkerbelly
05-11-2007, 12:11 PM
The underlying reason for a bad shed is almost always dry air. If the snake has adequate humidity, it will take care of the rest. I spray my snake's cage with water as needed while he is in shed. Or give him a humid hide. Also try covering most of the air vents on the cage to help retain humidity.

Deal with the humidity first and you'll never have to soak the little guy.