• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

What's this? Graying scales and a "bump"?

Blue Apple Herps

aka Matthew, PhD
So my bloodred, Puck, recently had a small area of his neck turn gray-white. I thought it was possibly some dried up skin (he shed a few weeks ago, and hasn't been in blue, but you never know), but it's actually his scales that are that color. Closer inspection also revealed a small bump that had a very pale yellowish color to it (sort of like a yellow scab). I have no idea what is going on; never seen anything like this. Consulted the cornsnake manual, and didn't really see anything like this either. My camera sucks, but I attatched a couple of pics; hopefully you can see the paling and the "bump"

Attachments

• P1010004.jpg
    P1010004.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 141
  • P1010005.jpg
    P1010005.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 141
I could be wrong, but to me it looks like it damage itself in shed when it was blue. If it spreads then I'm wrong . If it doesnt spread and goes through a shead and it starts to go away then it just damage itself in shed

It may be a burn:

Burns

Burns in reptiles often occur when the animal seeks a warm resting spot and finds one that is too hot, or stays there too long. Inside the enclosure, there should be no heat source allowed to reach such extreme temperatures. Hot rocks or "sizzle stones" are commonly sold as heating elements for new reptiles, but have a reputation for shorting out and causing severe flash burns to animals resting on them. An escaped snake may find warmth inside a baseboard heater, and also experience a burn. If this should happen to your snake, the scales will look dark brown, black, or gray, and in more serious burns, will be blistered. Minor burns should be cleansed daily with hydrogen peroxide or diluted Betadine and covered with a triple antibiotic ointment during healing. Obviously the offending heat source should be removed, if applicable. Serious burns should be seen by a vet experienced in reptile care to determine the extent of tissue damage and treat possible dehydration.

I hope this helps.

Vinman said:
I could be wrong, but to me it looks like it damage itself in shed when it was blue. If it spreads then I'm wrong . If it doesnt spread and goes through a shead and it starts to go away then it just damage itself in shed

That's what I'm hoping, that it will "go away" on it's own...

Joolz68 said:
It may be a burn

Don't think that it's a burn; he's in an unheated cage (in TX so not necessary) and isn't in direct sunlight. But you never know.

rekn said:
what kind of lights are over it? looks like a sunburn

In the picture it's just light from a room w/no flash; in his cage it's naturally lit by the room.

Look in my 20 + years I have seen a lot it looks like when a snake is blue in full blown shead it is easy to dammage the skin. thats what it looks like to me I did not think it was a burn but I did not want to argue with anybody. I waited till all the facts came in. I'm sure it will go away in a few sheds. Dont put any onitment on the snake it is bad for the new skin. In a burn you dont put onitment more than a few days because the new skin will grow back weaker if you use through out the healing stages.

good luck, V.

yeah, I think I will just wait and see Vinman if it goes away on it's own. If after a shed or two it's still there (or not getting better) then I will start to be concerned.

Well he shed yesterday. And now the "bump" is gone and the scales are white in the area. Looks almost like a little bit like a pied. Here are some pics I shot today with a better camera. The area seems fine, just a bunch of white scales. Thoughts?

Attachments

• DSCF0068.jpg
    DSCF0068.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 77
  • DSCF0069.jpg
    DSCF0069.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 76
  • DSCF0070.jpg
    DSCF0070.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 75
look like that it is a scared. Pigment will return in most area's over time if it spreads bring it to a vet

Vinman said:
look like that it is a scared. Pigment will return in most area's over time if it spreads bring it to a vet

Could be. Still weird as I have no idea what could have injured him. He's in an un-heated cage when this first appeared, so don't think it's a burn, and only eats f/t, so not a bite. Oh well... :shrugs: I guess I won't worry unless it appears to get worst or spread.

Thats pretty crazy looking. It might be possible that its actually just developing grey/ white scales. My "Snow" corn is developing reddish bands out of nowhere, turns out somewhere in his bloodline there were Bloodreds, I;m actually still trying to figure it out.

If that was my snake, I'd take it to the vet. It could be a bacterial infection, which could kill the snake if left untreated.

D

Back