PDA

View Full Version : Heat and bedding

Heat and bedding

Brian
04-29-2002, 09:59 PM
I use an undertank heater on one side of a 20L with cage carpet. Lights are not necessary. I see lots of cages with aspen bedding. My concern, and maybe it's not an issue, is the snake ingesting this aspen with it's meal.

I also know that my Corns and Kings liked to burrow in it and that glass will get pretty warm to the touch above the heater.

Any ideas?

Enjoy and respect.

Khaman
04-29-2002, 10:05 PM
You do not feed them in their cage, you feed in a separate container so that the snake does not develop a conditioned response when you open the cage it eats what is put in weather it be a mouse or your hand. As long as it does not burn your hand then it should be ok.

kenalotia
04-29-2002, 10:54 PM
If you go into your snake's tank/enclosure fairly frequently for reasons other than feeding, it isn't necessary to feed your snake in a separate enclosure. It's fine to do that anyway, but not necessary. I go into my snake's tank very often in order to give him fresh water or take him out and handle him. I do both of these much more often than I feed him, so he is not conditioned to try to eat whatever comes into his cage. He has never made any attempt to lunge at/bite my hand or anyone else's. He doesn't usually try to immediately lunge at the f/t mouse I put in there either, unless I wiggle it in front of his face (using tongs).

If you're worried about your snake ingesting some aspen, you can put the mouse on top of a rock, or anything else that holds the food apart from the substrate. Aspen is a non-toxic substance, though, and I don't think it poses much risk. I'm sure lots of our snakes have at one time or another eaten a little bit of it without coming to any harm.

Khaman
04-29-2002, 11:53 PM
I agree with kenalotia that small amounts of aspen will not harm an adult snake but as for putting it on a rock, I don't know about you but most of mine take and offering like that and drag it back to where they feel safe.

Most of my corns have never even assumed a defensive posture against me but I still feed in a separate container for many other reasons besides conditioned response or ingesting bedding though I have a few that have calmed down after I started feeding out of the cage it all depend on the individual snake.

lynn
04-30-2002, 01:57 AM
I alway's feed mine in their tank's and had no problem with them, I use tong's to put their feed in, Wilma is used to my hand going in to put clean water in everyday and to get her out. Tango seem's to be ok but I have not had her very long I'll just keep doing it the way I did with Wilma and she will get used to it as well. I only use paper towel at the moment till they are bigger then I will use something else. Beech has been recommended I don't know if they do aspen Iv'e never really looked as yet.