PDA

View Full Version : Is this injury permanent?

Is this injury permanent?

Cursed_Witch
05-15-2007, 06:06 PM
Hey all. I haven't been here for a long time.. I've been meaning to come cause I wanted to post what had happened with Stewie.

These pictures are what happened to him late march (he was in shed)... and the last image is towards end of april.. He injured his neck and there's still damage on it. I am wondering if it's going to stay permanently like that?

I would appreciate any response.. Thanks!
I will post new pics of Stewie for those who wonder how he turned out... all i can say he looks stunning.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b113/Paolitta/DSCF0481copy.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b113/Paolitta/DSCF0482copy.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b113/Paolitta/Untitled-1.gif
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b113/Paolitta/DSCF0557.jpg

Ginafish
05-15-2007, 06:12 PM
Whoa, Stewie's a lucky little snake! :eek1: That first pic made me cringe when I saw it! Did you accidentally close the lid on him?

Judging by that most recent pic of Stewie, externally he looks like he's doing well. Has he shown any strange behavior during feeding or attempts to feed, or has everything been normal? I might be worried that there could be some internal damage, possibly to his vertebrae.

Roy Munson
05-15-2007, 06:18 PM
Those first two pics scared the heck out of me until I figured out what was going on. I thought he had broken his neck in a container closing incident. But this is how you found him during an escape attempt, right? His injuries are superficial; he didn't have limited motion afterward, right? If you're wondering if the skin/scale damage will be permament, I'd guess that it won't be. Nice color on that boy, even if he got a little scuffed up.

Cursed_Witch
05-15-2007, 06:27 PM
Hey Roy!
I knew i'd see you here! and as usual always commenting on my little fella here.

Actually, no he wasnt trying to escape.. thats a very narrow opening for him.
I actually closed the lit when i was feeding him and i went away... then i heard him thumping *if its the right word* and i came to see and of course i still had my camera on the tripod on.. so i snapped the pics in a second and saved him.
I was going to throw my guts out... i felt horrible that i almost killed him.. its just i dont know how fast he put his head in there when i closed.

No he didnt have any motion. I just lifted him and put him back in his tank.. it has been a while since all that.. i tried to feed him a larger size of food but he refused it cause he was in shed... that was the day the neck incident happened.

As for now. i still am cautious. i am not feeding him large food.. i still give him 2 fuzzies once a week. He eats them (gobbles them) really fast. I will post some new pics of him i hope....
That damage just worries me... I still am not sure if he has any internal damage from it. His scales will probably take along time to fix, a couple of sheds?

Is there any cream or something to smoothen it for him?
And also... what size should i be feeding him now? Hes on fuzzies... hes probably about 37 inches, i didnt weight him but from what i remember... he is 4 months short of having his second bday

Cursed_Witch
05-15-2007, 06:30 PM
Whoa, Stewie's a lucky little snake! :eek1: That first pic made me cringe when I saw it! Did you accidentally close the lid on him?

Judging by that most recent pic of Stewie, externally he looks like he's doing well. Has he shown any strange behavior during feeding or attempts to feed, or has everything been normal? I might be worried that there could be some internal damage, possibly to his vertebrae.

Thanks Gina for the answer.. I responded to Roy and what i needed to asnwer you is there as well.

I cant exactly tell if he has any strange behavior.. because i literraly have only been feeding him.. i am never taking him out for any different reason. I have been very occupied lately and i will probably be still until end of june. But i have noticed that lately... finally.. he has started to show his face more often... stick his head out of his hides... sometimes wander around.. but thats mostly it.. hes always been the shy type

Pet Corn Snake
05-15-2007, 06:30 PM
Ouch! poor little guy :/
well, he seems to be getting on well, maybe after a few sheds that scar may go, but unless he's a show corn? then he should be fine : )

Good luck : )

-George-

Brizzle
05-15-2007, 06:39 PM
Owie. :(

The first 2 pictures made me cringe. I probably would've been so freaked out I would've grabbed him right away instead of taking a picture.

Roy Munson
05-15-2007, 06:51 PM
Hey Roy!
I knew i'd see you here! and as usual always commenting on my little fella here.Hi. :)

Actually, no he wasnt trying to escape.. thats a very narrow opening for him.
I actually closed the lit when i was feeding him and i went away... then i heard him thumping *if its the right word* and i came to see and of course i still had my camera on the tripod on.. so i snapped the pics in a second and saved him.
I was going to throw my guts out... i felt horrible that i almost killed him.. its just i dont know how fast he put his head in there when i closed.

I did at least as bad if not worse to a little blizzard early last year. It's a terrible feeling. His injuries were pretty bad, affecting his movement, and causing him to hold his head at a tilt for at least a month. For some reason, he had no external injuries. A couple of months after the accident, you'd never have known it happened.

No he didnt have any motion. I just lifted him and put him back in his tank.. it has been a while since all that.. i tried to feed him a larger size of food but he refused it cause he was in shed... that was the day the neck incident happened.

As for now. i still am cautious. i am not feeding him large food.. i still give him 2 fuzzies once a week. He eats them (gobbles them) really fast. I will post some new pics of him i hope....
That damage just worries me... I still am not sure if he has any internal damage from it. His scales will probably take along time to fix, a couple of sheds?He probably didn't suffer from any significant internal injuries if he never showed any motion problems, and he's doing everything else normally. You probably don't have to take any feeding precautions except to watch him closely in the days following a larger-than-fuzzy feeding.

Is there any cream or something to smoothen it for him?
And also... what size should i be feeding him now? Hes on fuzzies... hes probably about 37 inches, i didnt weight him but from what i remember... he is 4 months short of having his second bdayAt 37 inches and not particularly thin, that snake should be eating an adult mouse every seven or eight days.

Cursed_Witch
05-15-2007, 07:01 PM
I gave him an adult once... i was afraid it looked too big.. wasnt sure if he can eat it...
Heres the pic, its a little dark.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b113/Paolitta/DSCF0475.jpg

Roy Munson
05-15-2007, 07:17 PM
I gave him an adult once... i was afraid it looked too big.. wasnt sure if he can eat it...
Heres the pic, its a little dark.
He could handle a mouse that size. The photo's a little deceptive; that soggy mouse is flattened out pretty good. ;) I don't know how recent that photo is, but he looks a little thin in it. Time to fatten him up a little. :)

TriggerHappy101
05-15-2007, 07:36 PM
That is horrible. How careless of you to close the lid on him like that. How could you not notice it. And why would you take a picture of him like that when he is possiblely dieing/dead stuck in the container!

You are a horrible person.

Cursed_Witch
05-15-2007, 07:40 PM
I was going to note that out.. that it looks deceptive as you called it.
SO you really think he can handle that... Maybe i should get that size. Im due to feed him and im out of food completely and i was debating whether to try bigger size as an adult mouse.

I guess now i know... thanks Roy! And oh.. btw.. Stewie has always been skinny... but his colors have evolved great.. i have a pic from his last feeding this past weekend and i can't believe that those fiery colors exist.

Thanks for the help... and i tell you.. im SOOOOOOOOO careful now with everything i do with him

Cursed_Witch
05-15-2007, 07:42 PM
That is horrible. How careless of you to close the lid on him like that. How could you not notice it. And why would you take a picture of him like that when he is possiblely dieing/dead stuck in the container!

its called an accident....
I am to this day not sure of how it happened.. as far as i know.. i was so certain his head wasnt in there.. so i dont know how in the world that happened.. wether he sneaked out like that or i closed it on him , i really cant tell you. I already felt horrible about it, thank you for mentioning it.

And if you read it.. I snapped the pics right away and took him out.
I didnt sit and watch him or took my time to set up my camera.... so im sorry but thats a little offending what you said.

Jimmyman28
05-15-2007, 08:12 PM
:-offtopic
Woah, that is a bit far. As he said it's an accident.

Did he eventually eat the mouse? Is he doing ok now? Good luck

Cursed_Witch
05-15-2007, 08:22 PM
:-offtopic
Woah, that is a bit far. As he said it's an accident.

Did he eventually eat the mouse? Is he doing ok now? Good luck

Thanks Jimmy! I already told him it was offensive.
Im a she... my name is Paola!

That night he didn't eat... this has happened about a month ago.. he has recovered except his scales still look damaged.

I think he will be ok... as Roy said.. i gotta upgrade his food size... he needs to gain weight .

Thank you again

Lennycorn
05-15-2007, 08:47 PM
I once pulled up my zipper on my "you know what"
But that doesn't make me a horrible person..just a more cautious one. :grin01:

Savvy19
05-15-2007, 09:07 PM

That's a mighty big assumption you just made. I cringed when I saw the pictures, too, but you know? We all make mistakes, and we ALL have done SOMETHING stupid by accident to our pets. That doesnt make us horrible people, that makes us human. We can be as cautious as we possible can, and still make a mistake. I've accidently stepped on both my cats and my dog, I've accidently dropped my snakes when they're little and they decide to bolt. I've ACCIDENTLY done a lot of things that I feel horrible about as soon as it happens, but it HAPPENS. And I'm willing to bet that YOU have made the mistakes everyone else as, so before you accuse people of being a "horrible person" consider the fact that you are pretty much no different. :)

As for the snake, I'm sorry that happened to you both! But as Munson say, he shouldnt be too affected by it. The "injuries" with start to disappear with each shed. :)

diamondlil
05-15-2007, 09:29 PM
Accidents do happen, but I do personally find it odd that anyone could stop and take a picture rather than get the snake sorted out at once, because I, personally, couldn't.

DogStar5988
05-15-2007, 11:55 PM
OMG that is terrible! That picture brings back bad memories from when my cockatiel stuck his head between the bars of his cage and broke his neck. Poor little guy, I feel bad for both of you I remember how bad things like this make you feel. At least he it ok and you acted quickly enough to save him. ;)

---Kenny

tracy0416
05-16-2007, 12:17 AM
I agree with diamondlil 100%.

When your first thought, in a situation where your snake is in grave danger, is to snap a photo, (actually, more than one photo), rather then get the snake to saftey, you can expect people to question where your priorites are. What is important to someone and how they conduct themselves in a time of crisis reveals much about a person's character.

Also, if you are "wooried" about if the injuries are permanent, why not take the snake to the vet for an immediate, real life physical assessment?

Sorry, but I find this whole senario mishandled --be it surrounding a snake, bird, cat or human. If my firend was caught in the car door I wouldn't be all like, "hold on a sec, I just gotta grab my camera."

Ginafish
05-16-2007, 01:42 AM
Cursed_Witch, it's good that Stewie's eating regularly after the accident. From reading what Roy said, it sounds like Stewie fared a bit better in such a situation.

bitsy
05-16-2007, 07:37 AM
As I've posted elsewhere on this board, one of my males has some horrible crush injuries along the first third of his length, resulting in multiple broken ribs. To be honest, Stewie looks a bit of an amateur compared to my Pumpkin!

My vet was pretty relaxed about it, although the x-ray looked terrible and showed a range of broken/fused ribs and vertebrae. The vet said that as long as Pumpkin eats normally and behaves normally, he'll be fine. In the vet's opinion, Corns are very resilient to this kind of injury.

In the couple of years since the damage first occured, Punpkin has been absolutely fine, so I'm pretty optimistic that you'll find Stewie bounces back and lives a long, happy life.

Keep us posted!

TriggerHappy101
05-16-2007, 07:16 PM
And if you read it.. I snapped the pics right away and took him out.
I didnt sit and watch him or took my time to set up my camera.... so im sorry but thats a little offending what you said.

Depending on the kind of camera you have, it can take anywhere from 4-6 seconds to turn on and be ready to take a picture. Factor in the time to focus in, zoom, and then take TWO seperate pictures at DIFFERENT angles. Then factor in the times to pick up and put down the camera. Hardly "quick".

Your priorities are very confusing.

so before you accuse people of being a "horrible person" consider the fact that you are pretty much no different.

If I were to accidentally miss handle or harm my snake I wouldn't jump for the camera and take a picture of it in action.

When your first thought, in a situation where your snake is in grave danger, is to snap a photo, (actually, more than one photo), rather then get the snake to saftey, you can expect people to question where your priorites are. What is important to someone and how they conduct themselves in a time of crisis reveals much about a person's character.

Also, if you are "wooried" about if the injuries are permanent, why not take the snake to the vet for an immediate, real life physical assessment?

Sorry, but I find this whole senario mishandled --be it surrounding a snake, bird, cat or human. If my firend was caught in the car door I wouldn't be all like, "hold on a sec, I just gotta grab my camera."

Totally agree.

mudvaynechic75110
05-16-2007, 07:53 PM
I know that we all have our own opinions on whether or not what the OP did was wrong, but let's just try to put those aside for a moment. The original intent of this post was to ask whether the injury would be permanent or not, and if the snake would be fine. Both of these questions have already been answered, and I personally think it should be left at that.

(P.S.?) I hope nobody thinks I'm trying to be rude. As I'm proofreading this, it kind of sounds like I am. But I assure you that I'm not. If I were saying this aloud it would be calm and soothing, not sharp and...not soothing. lol

So let's all join hands and sing "Kumbaya" :rolleyes:

SkyChimp
05-16-2007, 09:53 PM
Bizarre. As empty as that container looked, as transparent as the lid is, and as tight a fit as those plastic containers have, how in the world you didn't know you did that is beyond me. And why you took time to take a picture is just as bizarre. I don't know you from Adam Ant, but I have to wonder about this "accident." :shrugs:

Cursed_Witch
05-17-2007, 11:27 AM
Thank you for those who answered me

and for those who questioned my judgement... go back and read the details of the incident more carefully before you jump to conclusions about my caracter or my judgement.

I would give more details to actually prove wether some of your theories are right, but i really feel its just not the point

Rorryy
05-20-2007, 02:25 AM
When I saw this I was horrified and wondered myself... How the hell did she get a pic of that? I would be in frantic rescue mode! Then you reported that your camera was already set up on the tripod. (I still damned you for taking the time to press the button) Horrible person is a tad harsh. We all make mistakes and I am extremely happy to see that your snake appears to be recovering brilliantly. After more thought I am thankfull that you took the pic and took the risk of posting it here. It shows how our carelessness with the animals we care for can be avoided. It reminds us to slow down a bit and realize the responsibility we have taken on by being keepers of another life. Be it our reptiles, our cats/dogs, kids. I know I am "out there" and perhaps "skipped a few steps". It gives me pause to think though, and sometimes that is all that is needed to get back on track... a pause to think. :shrugs:
Angela

Voodoo
05-23-2007, 02:43 PM
I hope the damage isn't permanent. Poor little snake! :( Accidents do happen; but I still don't understand why you were taking pictures. I don't care how close my camera was at the time, I would've helped the snake first... but that's just me. No harsh judgements on you, cursed-witch... Just be careful.