• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Another great day herping!

SkyChimp

I took a stroll around a lake today and saw buches of turtles. I checked out an area nearby that is supposed to be home to some Canebrake Rattlers. Didn't see any of those, but did run into a very ornery Northern Black Racer that actually rushed at me, climbed my field stick, struck my camera, and bit me 3 times. Later this evening, I went to a friend's house and on the spur of the moment we decided to hit a trash heap. I didn't have my camera, but I did bring a few finds home and took some shots at my house. I've already let the little snakes go. I'm going to keep the King for awhile.

All in all, today's haul:

2 Northern Black Racers
2 Eastern King Snakes
1 Worm Snake
1 Northern Ringneck Snake

(Our secret trash heap is so productive that we caught 1 Racer, 2 Kings, the Worm and the Ringneck all in under 15 minutes. The only reason we left was that it was getting dark and the ticks were out in force.)

Attachments

• Image2.jpg
    Image2.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 147
  • Image3.jpg
    Image3.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 145
  • Image4.jpg
    Image4.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 146
  • Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 147
  • Image5.jpg
    Image5.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 145
More.................

Attachments

• Image6.jpg
    Image6.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 146
  • Image7.jpg
    Image7.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 143
  • Image9.jpg
    Image9.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 143
  • Image10.jpg
    Image10.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 143
  • Image8.jpg
    Image8.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 143
And some more..............

Attachments

• Image12.jpg
    Image12.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 144
  • Image16.jpg
    Image16.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 142
  • Image15.jpg
    Image15.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 143
  • Image13.jpg
    Image13.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 143
  • Image11.jpg
    Image11.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 145
And the last of them............

Attachments

• Image17.jpg
    Image17.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 143
  • Image19.jpg
    Image19.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 143
  • Image20.jpg
    Image20.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 143
  • Image21.jpg
    Image21.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 143
  • Image18.jpg
    Image18.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 142
That's actually a Southern Ringneck Snake. We have both kinds here and I ought to look them up in my book because I can never remember which is which.

I found the King in that picture and a very large Black Racer under the same piece of tin. They were about 2 feet apart. We found the other King under another piece of ten less than ten feet away. The second King was smaller than the one in my picutre.

I'm going to keep the King in the picture for at least awhile. When my buddy picked her up, she bit him. He handed her to me and she was a doll-baby - still is. She is the most docile King I've ever handled - much more so than my other pet King. I'm keeping her is a large sterlite at the moment, with aspen and a water dish. I'm going to try and feed her in a few minutes. I treated her for mites last night (didn't see any), and treated her for some scale rot this morning. It was rather damp under the tin where I found her and she got a few patches on her belly that look a little rough and wrinkly. A little bacitracin and some dry substrate should take care of that.

I'll post some more pics of ther later.

She's eating. I'm feeding her in her sterlite so as not to stress her, but I served up a small adult F/T mouse on a paper plate and she's eating it. Tail's going down as I write this.

Sorry for the crappy photos, but I didn't want to stress her during her first meal.

Attachments

• feeding1.jpg
    feeding1.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 32
  • feeding2.jpg
    feeding2.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 32
Back