PDA

View Full Version : aarrrrgghh

aarrrrgghh

Nomed
05-21-2007, 08:28 PM
My 6 month old ghost is not eating. He did not eat last scedguled feeding day
and he is not eating now (which is 8 days later) Its getting fustrating. Ive tried braining them and he takes no intrest in it what so ever. I dont think its becuase its spring and breeding season cause he is a little too young for that... i think? What should I do? Ive run out of ideas and my fuse is almost up.

dawnrenee2000
05-21-2007, 09:25 PM
Missing two feedings for a 6 month old is nothing to worry about. Just wait and try again next week. Maybe he is preshed and you can't tell...Maybe he is just having one of those unexplained periods that all snakes go through at one time or another where food doesnt interest them. Just relax for this week and try again next week. They can go a long time without food before they are at any health risk.

Regards

Jase&Sarah
05-21-2007, 09:57 PM
Everything will be ok. Like was said your corn is probably just being moody. My 6 month old went without feeding for about a month and then resumed like nothing happened. It bothered me but she has been great ever since and gained all the lost weight back quickly. :-)

Silt
05-21-2007, 10:11 PM
Don't get frustrated yet, it's only been 8 days... I have a corn at the moment that hasn't eaten since December! He even went through a regurge of 2 mice, to boot! :sidestep:

One possible explanation for this could be stress and/or extreme temperatures. What are the temps in his cage at the moment?

Just be patient with him, and make sure not to try feeding attempt after feeding attempt after feeding attempt. Space about 4-7 days between each time you try to feed him.

Good luck! :)

Lisa

Okeetee_Corn_Snakes
05-22-2007, 02:04 AM
Oh no worries. Like everyone said two missed feeding is nothing to get stressed over. Give the little dude time and he might come around. My adult corn Dez did this to me one day and that was actually his only feeding where he didn't want to eat. I might also suggest washing the pinky in ivory soap. :) good luck!

Plissken
05-22-2007, 02:12 AM
Missing two feedings is nothing to be frustrated about - try having a snake fast for months and months on end lol :grin01:

Just minimise stress in between feeding attempts. Don't handle him if you can avoid it. Double-check your temps. Is he approaching a shed? Has anything stressful happened lately - have you moved his tank, is his room suddenly busier or loudier? All things to consider. :)

Nomed
05-22-2007, 06:34 AM
Thanks everyone.
His tems have deffitnally been all over the place because these past few days have rained now its treezing in the morning and burning up in the middle of the day. His tank hasent been moved but I'm thinking about putting it upstairs where it is warmer. Or should I wait till he is eating right again?

Its kinda gotten louder becuase my sister was moving out so there were alot of people taking stuff out of the house.

thanks again for the help.

bitsy
05-22-2007, 07:40 AM
Is he coming up to a shed? Some refuse food when they're due - it's an individual trait that develops as they grow up, so this might be a new behaviour for him.

Also, I'd leave him where he is. Some Corns really don't take kindly to changes of location and can take weeks to settle, even if you move them to a new viv in the same room. You might make the problem worse by moving him at the moment.

As long as his heater is on a stat, the temps in the tank shouldn't be fluctuating too much. I wouldn't worry about that factor.

ILOVECORNSNAKES
05-22-2007, 11:27 PM
i have heard that when a snake is young they are more stressed then an adult in the same position. this is because they have the stress of just growing up.
Hope it helped
luv~Erin~

Plissken
05-24-2007, 05:33 PM
The temps could have something to do with it. Is your heat source regulated by a thermostat?

Nomed
05-24-2007, 08:53 PM
no it said it was a thermostat then i got it and set it up to find out it was only a dimmer but it has been good cause im a super freak and check it all the time.
Its been cold do his tank has been a little below what i like to see but now the weather is back to normal and its hot.

(gotta love new england...yeah right)
:]

MegF.
05-24-2007, 10:14 PM
I'm thinking impending shed. I had some of mine refuse a feeding or two before, and sometimes one after shed.

tyflier
05-25-2007, 12:43 AM
I wouldn't worry about it. Try again next feeding. If you feed once a week, you are feeding more than they would most likely be getting in the wild, so don't sweat it, unless there is a marked decrease in weight, or visible signs of stress or not being healthy. He's just being picky ;).

FWIW...if 2 refusals have you worried or upset...you definitely should not be getting a ball python yet. They will go months at a time refusing food, for no apparrent reason. Getting through these phases with your corn will absolutely help to prepare you for the inevitable refusals a BP will give you, though, so don't give up on the idea...just be patient.

Nomed
05-25-2007, 09:02 PM
I wouldn't worry about it. Try again next feeding. If you feed once a week, you are feeding more than they would most likely be getting in the wild, so don't sweat it, unless there is a marked decrease in weight, or visible signs of stress or not being healthy. He's just being picky ;).

FWIW...if 2 refusals have you worried or upset...you definitely should not be getting a ball python yet. They will go months at a time refusing food, for no apparrent reason. Getting through these phases with your corn will absolutely help to prepare you for the inevitable refusals a BP will give you, though, so don't give up on the idea...just be patient.

It was a kinda freaking out for two seconds thing. After learning they will go off eating whenever im totally fine.

I was worried he might be sick or something thats why i was really worried becuase he is my first snake so basically my babyy and I'm mental about their health lol i call my mom from school to check his temp and humidity cause im paranoid its too hot or too cold.

GOOD NEWS!

i just gave him a medium/large pinkie and it took a little fussing but he is eating it. This pinkie is from a store that freezed their own that they raise instead of getting ones from factories i dont know if that has anything to do with it. :]

thanks for all the help everyone!

ps. I think he is comming up on a shed his last one was about 2-3 weeks ago.

Nomed
05-25-2007, 11:09 PM
oh and, this time i folded up a papertowel and made him a little hide and I cant beleive I havent used one in a while it helps him a lot when I use it. the first few times he liked it so that might have been the trick also.

Who knows? As long as he is eating I'm happy. :]