PDA

View Full Version : need help with feeding

need help with feeding

imasexyboy
05-23-2007, 01:47 PM
yeah Ive had my cornsnake for about 2 months now. Hes just a baby still but its been like 3 weeks almost since his last feeding. He looks pretty healthy and stuff and I cant afford a vet visit. so someone please tell me anything I can do. Thanks.

diamondlil
05-23-2007, 02:18 PM
It would help if you give some more details here. How old is your snake, what's your set-up, temps, how are you measuring & regulating them, what did the snake eat, did you put it in a seperate tub, etc?

imasexyboy
05-23-2007, 02:37 PM
alright well my snake was a baby when I first picked it up. Im guessing about 2 months old. its about 2 feet long right now. I have a cold end and a hot end in my tank. The end that has the head pad is 80-85 degrees and the other end is whatever lol. I think around 75-78. I havent been weighing it or anything but I have been watching it grow and stuff. Regularly I feed him frozen pinkies that I thaw for around 20 mins in hot water. I do this by putting the frozen mouse into a plastic bag and then immersing the bag in the water. Usually my snake has been going for it but for the past week it hasnt. And yes I have been putting it in a seperate tank for feeding. And I donno if this matters but it lives with 1 other snake thats the same age.

imasexyboy
05-23-2007, 02:38 PM
oops I mean it hasnt been eating for around 2 weeks

diamondlil
05-23-2007, 02:45 PM
It all sounded good until you mentioned the other snake.........most people on here recommend not cohabiting, the stress of solitary animals being kept together could certainly affect their eating habits.

imasexyboy
05-23-2007, 03:35 PM
but I mean I feed them in seperate tanks. Is it really that big of a deal?

nigel the corn snake
05-23-2007, 04:17 PM
alright well my snake was a baby when I first picked it up. Im guessing about 2 months old. its about 2 feet long right now. I have a cold end and a hot end in my tank. The end that has the head pad is 80-85 degrees and the other end is whatever lol. I think around 75-78. I havent been weighing it or anything but I have been watching it grow and stuff. Regularly I feed him frozen pinkies that I thaw for around 20 mins in hot water. I do this by putting the frozen mouse into a plastic bag and then immersing the bag in the water. Usually my snake has been going for it but for the past week it hasnt. And yes I have been putting it in a seperate tank for feeding. And I donno if this matters but it lives with 1 other snake thats the same age.

When you say you thaw it for 20 minutes-this is just my opinion- i think you might be doing it for too long because i do the same thing but i only leeve it in or 5 minutes and my snake has never rejected it the entire time i had him.
And i cant remember where i read this but once youve thawed it apparantly you can make a tiny slit in the rodent and then the snake will be able to pick up its scent easier.
Just thought id say my views on the situation :cool:

nigel the corn snake
05-23-2007, 04:19 PM
oooo i forgot to say that i think that as long as you feed the snakes in seperate tanks then its alright.

imasexyboy
05-23-2007, 05:09 PM
alright thanks

diamondlil
05-23-2007, 06:26 PM
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47186&highlight=cohab
If you check this link and run a search, you may decide to sepertae your snakes, it's much too soon to try forcefeeding (just read your other post)

susang
05-23-2007, 06:40 PM
First I would suggest not starting more then one thread on the same subject as it confuses people trying to help you.
Second take diamondlil's advice and separate the snakes(not just for feeding permanently wait and see if this doesn't help. Don't try to feed it everyday (sorry you aren't clear on how often you are attempting to feed this snake).
We all can tell you are worried and excited about this, but you need to slow down a bit, take advice as you see fit, and give more info. susan

Roy Munson
05-23-2007, 06:45 PM
alright thanksNo it's not all right. Separate the snakes. Even committed cohabitators (people who keep corns together despite the fact that they're solitary animals) can't argue with this course of action when dealing with a problem feeder.

I've kept and raised hundreds of corns over 23 years. That's almost twice as long as Nigel (who has experience with 1 snake) has been alive. Choose your advice wisely.