PDA

View Full Version : FAT rescued corn needs to lose weight.

FAT rescued corn needs to lose weight.

rhodostom
03-07-2003, 10:23 AM
A beautiful male cornsnake was given to my wife and I last night
that was an adoption/rescue animal.

Contrary to most rescue animals this one was being taken care of very very well. So well that he is FAT. I mean this guy is as big around as my adult pinesnakes. He has numerous fat deposits in the lower 1/3 of his body.

Does anyone have any recommendations on the best way to get a snake to lose excess weight?

My current plan is to handle him frequently for exercise, and only feed him a small mouse once a month or two.

Thanks,
Michael B.

kenalotia
03-07-2003, 11:09 AM
Yup, that seems like the ideal way for any animal to lose weight. More exercise, less food! I find baths are also a good way to give them exercise, and some snakes seem to like baths a lot. A large cage with lots of stuff to climb might encourage him to exercise on his own, too.

bmm
03-07-2003, 01:10 PM
yep! I agree.

Lots of handling, swimming, and less food. If you want to fed him more often than every two months, just decrease the prey item size. That should help as well.

Some fatty deposits never go away after a snake gets them, even after they have achieved a normal weight. So he will be slimmer after all but the bumps may or may not still be there.
:)

bmm

rhodostom
03-07-2003, 01:42 PM
Thanks for the info. Swimming is a great idea, and one I had neglected. As for feeding him, I think I will probably start off at 1 small mouse/month.

Too bad some of the bumps might still be there post fat loss. He's really really pretty. I believe he is a Sunglow phase.

I'll see if I can't get some pics and post them next week.

-Michael

Wa$ted
04-19-2003, 04:05 PM
how about a pic so we can see how fat.