PDA

View Full Version : Full already???

Full already???

mommyof2
06-02-2007, 10:34 AM
I fed Eddy last night. I put 2 F/T pinkies in his feed box(one was a little larger than the ones I've usually fed him). When I put him in there, he went straight for the largest one and ate it...butt first. After he ate it, he climbed out of the feed box.

My concern is that it took him a little longer than normal to swallow the pinkie, it was a larger one than normal(about exactly 1 1/2 his diameter), and he swallowed it backwards. I'm also concerned that he only ate one(last feeding I gave him 2 and he ate both just fine). He's in his cage exploring right now(last time he fed, on Sunday, he hid for about 2 days after he ate). Could he still be hungry?

For what it's worth, he had been feeding every 7 days prior to this. This is the first time I've fed him after only 5 days. Should I go back to his normal schedule? If yes, how long do I wait before his next feed?

Nanci
06-02-2007, 11:06 AM
That's why I keep mine in a feeding container with the lid on! They can't go off and forget about the second half of the meal.

Eating it butt-first doesn't hurt anything. Snakes eat head first, usually, because the prey goes down easier that way. The way the snake tells which end is which is it feels for the direction of hair growth, and feels for the hard skull. Both of these are nearly impossible to detect in a pink.

I'd keep him on five days, and offer him two pinks again at the next feeding, but think about confining him till he's done eating.

Nanci

MegF.
06-02-2007, 11:39 AM
If the pinky was 1 1/2 times the size of his body, that is more than enough food for him. I have some that leave a second one if they are in blue, or about to shed. If he doesn't eat two...who cares!? Forcing him to eat two because you think he should is silly. No sense powerfeeding him. If the pinkies are much smaller than usual, feed two. If they are both the same size and not leaving much of a bulge, go up to the next size. Otherwise, leave him alone! Snakes are opportunistic and would probably eat every couple of days if you let them. That doesn't mean it's healthy. I feed every 5 days when they are on pinkies (1 appropriately sized-which 1- 1 1/2 times the widest part of their body). Once on fuzzies, they go to every 7.

mommyof2
06-02-2007, 12:23 PM
Thanks for the advice. Next time I'll wait to open the lid until after he's shown interest in the second mouse. The last 2 pinkies I have(until I go to the store again) are both somewhat smaller, so I'll see what he does on Wednesday when he eats next.