PDA

View Full Version : Acts scared of food.

Acts scared of food.

kxv
03-08-2003, 12:45 AM
I have a carmel that just refuses to eat. Looks interested at first but then turns head and goes the other way. I have tried seperate feeding container, de-braining, leaving food in cage overnight, and T-Rex. Corn will sometimes curl up in ball and hide from me and the food (frozen pinkie). New snake for me and have only tried feeding twice. But it's quickly coming up to a month with no food (although corn looks really healthy). BTW, I have another corn that refuses to eat, that is until she gets a wiff of T-Rex (also a newer snake which I took knowing she had a feeding problem). T-Rex is more than worth a try for the problem feeders.

Any help with the Carmel is greatly appreciated.

CornCrazy
03-08-2003, 05:34 AM
What is T-Rex?

kxv
03-08-2003, 07:36 AM
Liquid lizard scent.
Try this link:
http://www.bigappleherp.com/bigappleherp.filereader?3e69e2ee0493e466271f424d36 1a06af+EN/products/445115

CornCrazy
03-08-2003, 02:08 PM
I've been using an actual lizard to scent the mice for my difficult feeders. The liquid stuff would be easier and cheaper. I may have to give it a try!

13mur 6
03-08-2003, 03:37 PM
How are you feeding your snake? In a different container? In the enclosure? In a bright place?

I have a snake that refuses to eat unless I put the pinkie right infront of the entrance to her hide (I keep all my snakes on paper towel). Within 5 minutes she grabs the pinkie and drags it inside her hide and eats it. If shes in any other situation, she just refuses to eat, unless the pinkie is alive, and she'll constrict it and sometimes eat it, sometimes leave it.

She hasn't learned to bite either even though I feed her in her cage, she's the most docile snake I have actually (maybe because she associates feeding with pinkie at door?).

-13mur 6

kxv
03-08-2003, 04:16 PM
I have tried in a different enclosure. When that doesn't seem to work I place the pinkie in the normal enclosure.

Different enclosure is usually in a bright place. However; in the normal enclosure, it's dark.

I just picked up a brown paper bag this morning. I think I may try the bag trick soon.

gardenmum
03-08-2003, 11:04 PM
works good. I have two of my snakes that frequently refuse food. They take a whiff and hed in the other corner looking for a way out. When they do, I put them in a small brown bag with their food (i will slice the head open first) and check on them in an hour. The food is always gone. I also have one that will eat in the feeder tupperware but only if it is placed in a dark quiet spot.
But you will probably find that the brown bag will work. I have had to leave one of my snakes in the brown bag overnight once, but he did eat his meal.
Good luck with yours,
Gardenmum

fateamber
03-10-2003, 02:29 PM
Akasha (my snake) until last night refused top eat unless the pinkie was in this quite small containor which was getting to small for her . But last night she finally ate a pinkie out of the containor after about 20 miniuits of me making the pinkie move around her.

shane.N
03-12-2003, 01:19 PM
I too have a difficult feeder but last night I got her too eat by holding the pinky in some small tongs about an inch away from her head and gently wiggling the pinky.The movement of the pinky got her interested enough too strike and eat it.After she had eaten one I tried again and she struck and eat a second pinky.Hope this helps.

kxv
03-12-2003, 09:46 PM
Well, I tried the paper bag trick (overnight). No luck.

I will try the holding of food and small movements.

Thanks for all your help!