PDA

View Full Version : Your Dead Snakes.

Your Dead Snakes.

BlkBullet23
06-02-2007, 01:46 PM
I was wondering what everyone does with their snakes when they die. I had done a search and found nothing on this. :shrugs:

1. Does anyone skin them for their look of the scales? (I think some people do):devil01:
2. Do you bury your friend?:(
3. Take them to an animal hospitol?:cry:
4. Get him/her stuffed?:shrugs:

Well I dont own a snake yet, so I just wanted to know what people do with thier dead friends. Thanks.
Tim

mbdorfer
06-02-2007, 01:53 PM
I have a half dozen or so buried in the yard. :cheers:

Plissken
06-02-2007, 01:54 PM
Touch wood and thank the stars that I have never yet lost a snake, but I have lost plenty of other animals. The thought of skinning a beloved pet horrifies me. My animals always have been and always will be buried. I usually mark their graves with a flower or some other feature. Silly to some maybe, but my pets are a huge part of my life.

snakeboy24
06-02-2007, 02:00 PM
i have had pets all my life, and also touch wood i have never lost a snake yet and hopefully wont for a long time. i have had and lost many other animals though, they have all been buried and there graves marked. my animals are also a big part to my life and i spend more time with animals than people. quite sad i know but i like it.

i would never skin my friend. even the thought of this knocks me sick. hopefully nobody does this.

:cheers:

diamondlil
06-02-2007, 02:10 PM
When Pancho my MBK died, I put him in the freezer for a few days because I had to go to work and didn't have time to bury him. My sons did ask if we could have him mounted, and I did actually think about it because I was so shocked to lose him, but he's buried now

Okeetee_Corn_Snakes
06-02-2007, 02:13 PM
I do not think I could ever sking or stuff a pet of mine. The thought is just too...sad. :( I would bury my snakes and have done so in the past with other pets. (Its a shame most cats only live 16 years) I hope I will not be losing any snake too soon.

newsnakeowner1978
06-02-2007, 02:53 PM
I dont' think I could have it stuff or skinned. All the pets I've lost over the years are buried and marked. My pets are like kids to me. will except for the darn cat my daughter wanted.

(Its a shame most cats only live 16 years)

:-offtopic OMG you mean my stupid cat can live fer 16 years. :cry: AGGGGGGGGGGG :twoguns:

Brizzle
06-02-2007, 03:00 PM
Whenever I've had bigger animals die(cats, dogs) I've taken them to the spca where they have those animal drop off boxes. When I have small animals die(hamsters and mice) I bury them in front of my apartment. I'm pretty sure the neighbors think I'm weird when they see me sitting under the stairs digging in dirt.
As for snakes, I dunno what I'll do with them. I'm kind of freaked out at the thought of seeing a dead snake. I'd probably take it to the spca or bury it. Hopefully I won't have to make that decision for a looong time.

tom e
06-02-2007, 03:05 PM
Well, I actually have some interest in taxidermy and skeletal (what's it called) articulation(? I know that's not the right word but where they put the skeleton together...)...
Don't know if that's contraversial here, (I guess I could understand why it would be) but I think I will try it when the time comes.

For the record, I hope I don't get the chance with any of my snakes for like 30 years...

BlkBullet23
06-02-2007, 03:06 PM
Thanks for the replys. I had never owned a snake or any other animal for more than a month. I will bury my snake when he passes. Though I dont own one yet.

So far no skinning or stuffed huh.

Paradox
06-02-2007, 04:47 PM
My pets get graves dug and marked once they're in them. They're an important part of my life, I feel I have to remember them.

roche
06-02-2007, 06:32 PM
I've haven't lost a snake yet*knock on wood* but with my past pets from hamsters to rabbits even goldfish they all get buried in the backyard with a little homemade grave mark. Animals are very important to me I treat all my pets as part of my family so i try and remember them the way i would anyone im my family with respect.

XIIIHour
06-02-2007, 06:36 PM
I have a Green Belt behind my house (proected land, with trees and a creek). I put my snake over there.

Tula_Montage
06-02-2007, 07:32 PM
My one and only lost baby is still in the freezer... 9 months on. I can't let go of her :'(

diamondlil
06-02-2007, 07:55 PM
Oh Elle, that's so sad. I had our favourite guineapig in the freezer for 4 weeks before I could bring myself to say goodbye for good

ILOVECORNSNAKES
06-02-2007, 08:07 PM
oh i feel so sorry for you tula! :(

cka
06-02-2007, 08:32 PM
I had our favourite guineapig in the freezer for 4 weeks...

My daughter had a dwarf hamster, a vicious lil rodent. When it died, of course she was heartbroken (my wife and gave a silent little cheer, tho). I placed it in a toilet paper roll, plugged both ends and wrapped it in duct tape. We placed it in the freezer and told Krystal she could bury it in the woods behind our house. Kids being kids, she quickly got over her loss. Parents being parents, we forgot that we had placed in the freezer. It had gotten tucked in the back and covered up. Almost a year later, while cleaning out the freezer my wife goes "uh oh, guess what i found" :crazy02:

diamondlil
06-02-2007, 08:36 PM
I know this is a little :-offtopic , but because of my irregular shifts, my freezer has also played host to various pet mice, hamsters, and a cat. Probably explains why no-one in this household was fazed by frozen mice for the snakes :sidestep: (This is why I never ever pretend to be normal

suecornish
06-02-2007, 08:36 PM
All my pets that have passed on have been buried except for the zebra finches. It gives emotional closure.

SkyChimp
06-02-2007, 09:20 PM
Snake Hot Dogs. They fit buns nicely.

Voodoo
06-03-2007, 08:35 PM
any pet of mine that has died has received the traditional burial in the back yard.

However, and I know this is going to sound really odd to most of you, but I plan on having my cat mummified when he dies. He'll be mummified and placed in an Egyptian cask that's shaped like a cat, just like the egyptians used to do. I just like the idea of having him "immortalized." If any kitty deserves "eternal life," it's my Bastian. I even named him after the Egyptian cat goddess, Bast. Ok, push your jaws back up. I'm finished talking about cat mummies. :)

I currently have a small pet cemetary in the back yard that holds an amel corn that died when she was very young, a chinese water dragon that died of old age, a baby chinchilla that died due to birth defects (I bred chinchillas for a little while), and a couple orandas that were too large to flush.

I won't ever have children, so my animals take their place. I could never skin one of my pets, eventhough I guess mummifying is almost in the same category. :shrugs:

Drizzt80
06-03-2007, 09:19 PM
I've only had one adult corn death, and it went from the freezer to the garbage. :shrugs: That was quite some time ago.

For those that have a local college, there may be a unique option for you. I have had a local instructor request dead adult corns from me (if and when it should happen) in order to supply the body to their carrion beatles . . .then they want to reconstruct the skeleton! That actually intrigues me quite a bit!! :)

D80

tricksterpup
06-03-2007, 10:04 PM
I've only had one adult corn death, and it went from the freezer to the garbage. :shrugs: That was quite some time ago.

For those that have a local college, there may be a unique option for you. I have had a local instructor request dead adult corns from me (if and when it should happen) in order to supply the body to their carrion beatles . . .then they want to reconstruct the skeleton! That actually intrigues me quite a bit!! :)

D80
On a creepier note, just imagine donating your body to the college for that as well. :sidestep:

There is a local college here that has a vet school. I am sure they would take any adult snakes as well for examinations.

texastailfeathers
06-03-2007, 10:23 PM
When I lose any kind of small animal, I zip it up in a plastic baggie and put it in the freezer. Then it goes into the garbage on trash day. It is easy, sanitary, and there is no chance of the dead animal being dug up by a stray dog or cat. There's just something creepy to me about having a backyard full of little skeletons. :rolleyes:

texastailfeathers
06-03-2007, 10:32 PM
I know this is a little :-offtopic , but because of my irregular shifts, my freezer has also played host to various pet mice, hamsters, and a cat. Probably explains why no-one in this household was fazed by frozen mice for the snakes :sidestep: (This is why I never ever pretend to be normal

Ditto here. When I was 10 my beloved pet hamster died. I cried for days. I made a little coffin for her out of a small box and placed flowers inside. I had to keep her in the freezer until my parents had time to dig a grave. Every day for about a week I'd take her out and pet her. I freaked out quite a few of my friends.

A few weeks ago one of those old friends asked me if I still keep dead animals in my freezer. I did a quick inventory and told her that yes, as a matter of fact, I had about 150 mice and one bird on the shelf below my ice cream.

My friends think I'm nuts. :crazy02:

Drizzt80
06-03-2007, 11:06 PM
My friends think I'm nuts. :crazy02:Too bad they're the ones that are crazy!! :grin01:

D80

Okeetee_Corn_Snakes
06-03-2007, 11:18 PM
However, and I know this is going to sound really odd to most of you, but I plan on having my cat mummified when he dies. He'll be mummified and placed in an Egyptian cask that's shaped like a cat, just like the egyptians used to do.

I won't ever have children, so my animals take their place. I could never skin one of my pets, eventhough I guess mummifying is almost in the same category. :shrugs:

I too want to have my dear cat embalmed. I used to study Egyptology and find it very fascinating. I could never skin one of my animals because to me they are my children. (I do not think I will ever have kids either lol)

Roy Munson
06-04-2007, 09:06 AM
I've had a hatchling and an adult die on me in the last year. The adult went into the dumpster, and the hatchling was thrown into the river behind my apartment.

toyah
06-04-2007, 12:40 PM
Once an animal is dead, it's not my pet anymore, it's just a body. They get wrapped up and chucked in the bin to be taken away.

That's fine for pet rodents, corn snakes, little things like that, but I think when the time comes for my cats (or if I ever have a fully grown retic or similar die on me), then it'll be off to the vets for cremation, or get the council to take the body away.

diamondlil
06-04-2007, 01:35 PM
I went with a friend when she had her horse euthanised recently. She'd never had any pets die before so she found that realising it was 'just a body' was good for the process of letting go

Laine
06-04-2007, 02:04 PM
I've yet to lose a snake, but when my cat died, I had her cremated. I scattered the majority of her ashes and the bit that remained is tucked inside a locket that hangs above my computer on the wall. When Rosie passes on, I plan to do the same thing, Though I also want to get a small tattoo of her with wings on my right ankle.

Serpent2007
06-04-2007, 02:29 PM
2 years later n i stil have my first amel corn in the freezer keep forgetting to throw out.plus a non eating milksnake.what is weird is i had them out to show a friend earlier and the corn is shedding scales there jus rubbing off but she is still retaining her color

Nanci
06-04-2007, 02:38 PM
I went with a friend when she had her horse euthanised recently. She'd never had any pets die before so she found that realising it was 'just a body' was good for the process of letting go

What do they do with dead horses over there? Here, it's against the law to just bury it in your yard, though obviously people do. We had a horse die the day before leaving for vacation in Mexico. Luckily, we had brought all our horses over to a friend's to get babysat, and she died there, and it was winter, so she stayed frozen for the nearly a week it took the renderer to come get her...

I have some little bodies buried in the yard- mostly little birds that get hit by cars that die before I get them home.

I have a dead toad (died of natural causes) in the freezer for scenting, but it doesn't work. I should probably throw it away.

Nanci

Tula_Montage
06-04-2007, 03:51 PM
I've had a hatchling and an adult die on me in the last year. The adult went into the dumpster, and the hatchling was thrown into the river behind my apartment.

You really are evil incarnate :rolleyes:

ILOVECORNSNAKES
06-04-2007, 04:41 PM
i haven't had a snake die on me, but i did have 5 dogs die on me and they are burried in my yard, i have also had 2 anoles and they were burried in a tin can. i cant imangine just throwing them away, or tossing in a river. when my cat dies im getting him creamated, he is like my best friend

dawnrenee2000
06-04-2007, 04:44 PM
i haven't had a snake die on me, but i did have 5 dogs die on me and they are burried in my yard, i have also had 2 anoles and they were burried in a tin can. i cant imangine just throwing them away, or tossing in a river. when my cat dies im getting him creamated, he is like my best friend

I personally dont see anything wrong with putting them back with Nature such as discarding in a river if they are non infectious. I too have put an adult in a trash bin because I didnt want other animals to eat it and risk an infection since the animal died of disease.

bitsy
06-04-2007, 05:08 PM
I live in a flat, so burial is out of the question.

The adults that have died with me have gone into the trash carefully wrapped in multiple plastic bags, to dissuade the local foxes from getting to them.

The ones that died with a vet have been disposed of by them in their usual way. I don't ask for any remains back.

I'm afraid deceased hatchlings get flushed down the toilet. I'm still not quite ready to try feeding them to my Kingsnake, although I'm sure this must be the best way to return them back to the natural cycle.

Roy Munson
06-04-2007, 07:25 PM
You really are evil incarnate :rolleyes:You know it, baby. And my snake-disposal methods are just the tip of the iceberg. :devil01:

i cant imangine just throwing them away, or tossing in a river.

I personally dont see anything wrong with putting them back with Nature such as discarding in a river if they are non infectious. I too have put an adult in a trash bin because I didnt want other animals to eat it and risk an infection since the animal died of disease.I multi-wrapped the adult that I put in the dumpster, to try to prevent any other animals from coming in contact with it. It was a quarantined w/c adult that just didn't make it. The hatchling was a classic "failure to thrive" case. But in case it was something more serious, I opted not to give it to a king. "Burial at sea" seemed like a respectful option. You wouldn't believe how many refused f/t mice I've thrown into that river or in the surrounding woods.

diamondlil
06-04-2007, 07:38 PM
What do they do with dead horses over there? Here, it's against the law to just bury it in your yard, though obviously people do. We had a horse die the day before leaving for vacation in Mexico. Luckily, we had brought all our horses over to a friend's to get babysat, and she died there, and it was winter, so she stayed frozen for the nearly a week it took the renderer to come get her...

I have some little bodies buried in the yard- mostly little birds that get hit by cars that die before I get them home.

I have a dead toad (died of natural causes) in the freezer for scenting, but it doesn't work. I should probably throw it away.

Nanci
My friend was given the option of having her horse killed using the bolt gun and given to the local wildlife park to feed the carnivores, or euthanised and cremated, which was what she chose.

Lennycorn
06-04-2007, 07:45 PM
You wouldn't believe how many refused f/t mice I've thrown into that river or in the surrounding woods.

Sounds like a smart thing to do if you want some wild caught snakes! :grin01:

Tula_Montage
06-04-2007, 07:48 PM
You know it, baby. And my snake-disposal methods are just the tip of the iceberg. :devil01:

Sick I tells ya... sick!

Personally I would love to know what you will do with Vadar? I know what I would do (stokes ma purdy big boids) :grin01:

Vinman
06-04-2007, 07:50 PM
if they are small in the bowl they go if they are big then it is the good old garbage bag for them , right with everything else . Now if it died because of being eggbound then off to the garbage can cal. king . I will even chop it in half and frezze it for the next meal.

Roy Munson
06-04-2007, 08:00 PM
Personally I would love to know what you will do with Vadar? I know what I would do (stokes ma purdy big boids) :grin01:Hah! Have you looked up the life expectancy of chihuahuas? I think you should be curious about what Vader's going to do with me! :rolleyes:

Tula_Montage
06-04-2007, 08:05 PM
Oh I already know what he would do to you ;)

suecornish
06-04-2007, 08:49 PM
You really are evil incarnate :rolleyes:

It's those hands. :sidestep:

El Jefe
06-04-2007, 09:00 PM
I've done it all with the dead ones. Used them for snake food, buried them, thrown them in the trash, put them in jars of formaldehyde, or get them skinned out. A few things to remember...I am not an animal killer and have tons of dead snakes...I have been working with snakes since 95 and have worked at several pet stores as well as a few universities and labs where I have come in contact with a lot of dead snakes....pets, roadkills, etc.

For my personal collection, I usually freeze them and then either bury them or get them skinned if they are big enough. If it is a baby, it usually is frozen and then turn into coral snake or king snake food.

Nomed
06-04-2007, 10:17 PM
I would deffitnally either bury mine or creamate them. I couldent imagine stuffing or skinning. I would be so sad seeing it :[

snakemom1961
06-06-2007, 08:23 AM
I know I'm a couple days late on this thread, but for my beloved dog chelsea and our cats they all got buried in the back yard with crosses my daughters made for them. The one baby snake we got about 10 years ago that died we just put in the garbage. I don't see myself burying my snakes like I did my dog or cats, but that's just me.

rekn
06-06-2007, 11:44 AM
when Thing, my peacock mantis died i barried him. was a cool shrimp that i miss alot.

Ginafish
06-06-2007, 12:58 PM
Of all the dogs, cats, fish, guinea pigs, hamsters, and birds I've had the pleasure of sharing my home with over my lifetime, it's sad to say I have lost several of my friends.

It's also a sad truth that I have lost one corn snake, however, it was a snake recently purchased as a 'surprise' by my boyfriend from a Petco...a young ghost corn that was clearly underfed and dehydrated to the point that its spine was clearly visible and its skin hung loosely against its body. :( Sad to say it passed away the next day after getting it situated. I did not bury it, but gently took it and placed it in the Petco box it arrived in, and placed that in the refridgerator until the next morning when we returned and were fully reimbursed thanks to the fourteen-day guaruntee. Needless to say, I was rather sad at the loss, but since I hadn't had the time to grow attached to this new snake as I have with Toulouse (I don't even want to fathom losing my little guy!) it was less of a blow, but it still sucked. :(

I don't recommend anyone buy animals from Petco, as most employees I've talked to don't know crap about the animals they're caring for, or how to properly go about taking care of them.

Anyway, losing a pet for me is like losing any other loved one: they recieve a proper burial. I'd never stuff or mount any of my pets which have passed; it would be too emotional and downright weird to see them everyday without the life they once had. Just recently my ten-year-old Alaskan malamute, London, had to be put down due to cancer and now she rests in the earth in a corner of our backyard, underneath the tree whose shade she loved to sit beneath.

ssmith_1187
06-06-2007, 01:27 PM
Mr. Slither’s is currently in the freezer (since January) awaiting a proper burial in respect of my 6 and 8 1/2 year olds.

According to Nemo’s friends, all drains lead to the ocean…so the 1 sole surviving sea monkey made its way to the open sea 2 months ago…I think :grin01:

Regards,
Steve

suecornish
06-06-2007, 02:59 PM
My one and only lost baby is still in the freezer... 9 months on. I can't let go of her :'(

We had a common gold fish, you know, one of those 29 cent feeder fish. Well, grandpa grew to be 12" long just in body, we didn't measure the fins. When he died I tripled bagged him and put him in the freezer. Early this spring we moved the hydrangea bush out from the house and we used him as fertilizer. So now the bush is called grandpa because of all the good nourishment he gave it.