PDA

View Full Version : Measuring feeder weight...

Measuring feeder weight...

Cegninedorf
06-03-2007, 06:02 PM
For the first time today, I wondered how others measured the weight of their feeder mice. Mostly because I thaw my mice directly in water, which adds weight. I've always taken the measurement of the mouse prior to thawing, but I wondered if it really mattered after I thawed it & saw that the thawed mouse had gained a couple of grams (darn water bloat!). So, should I go by the mouse's weight post-thaw or pre-thaw?

Thanks!

Nanci
06-03-2007, 06:09 PM
I go by the frozen mass, because the additional water from thawing doesn't count as nutrition.

Nanci

antsterr
06-03-2007, 06:56 PM
keep in mind that the mice weights to snake weights are guidelines not exact science. You're probably not going to get in any trouble if you go a few grams one way or the other. Especially if the mice are big enough to have substantial fur.

DogStar5988
06-05-2007, 01:37 AM
I measure pre-thaw to avoid the water weight, but I only do it for my own information to know generally what size I am feeding. Depending on where I get my mice the sizes vary wildly so I will bring my scale right to the pet shop if I am not sure. ;)

---Kenny

Corny Noob
06-05-2007, 09:51 AM
I have a chart where I'm tracking what Nagini eats and how much because I'm an obsessive mommy. So I always measure the food prethaw.

Okeetee_Corn_Snakes
06-05-2007, 03:18 PM
Oh I have a question then. Say I am feeding my corn two small fuzzies. If I weigh them and compare it to one item that weighs the same will she be able to eat it. Even though it weighs the same it may be a lot thicker around right? I wanted to start weighing for my personal information. When I start weighing though I will weigh my food before I thaw it.