PDA

View Full Version : My New Snake Died

My New Snake Died

angel0heart
06-07-2007, 04:51 AM
Hi, I just got this snake on sunday from a lady. She said that aiko had not eaten in 6-8 days after feeding a fuzzy. She said that it stretched aiko out way too much. And aiko refused to eat another one. She said that I should give him some pinkies. So I fed aiko sunday evening. Aiko regurgitated sometime while I was asleep monday early morning.

I removed the pinkies. And let Aiko rest. I'd been keeping a check on aiko throughout the week. Last night (tuesday) I found aiko laying on her/his back. I moved him quickly and he/her acted like nothing had happened. Aiko felt a lil cold to me.

The people said aiko was 11 months old. Lived in a 20 gallon tank with a 75 watt infrared heat lamp on aspen snake bedding. The light was setup over the hideout, while on the other end there was a tree and a water dish. :shrugs:

Tonight I go to check on aiko from being at work most of today, to find aiko had passed. Around his lips and eyes there is a faint dark coloration.

Did I kill aiko by feeding him and him regurging? or was this something that happened from the fuzzy stretching him/her out too much?

I worried sick about aiko ever since the regurg. Now I'm lost for words and out the money I put into getting aiko. *sighs*

Jillie
06-07-2007, 05:31 AM
I'm so sorry for your bad news. You tried your best so dont blame yourself for feeding him I would of done the same thing.

Dave123
06-07-2007, 06:15 AM
I am very sorry for your loss. It doesn't really sound like it was your fault. You haven't had him too long so I am guessing something else happened at that lady's house. Some are just not meant to live though.

kathylove
06-07-2007, 09:59 AM
Sounds like you had problems from the start. If I was the seller, and the conditions and timing were as you say, I would probably offer a replacement.

dawnrenee2000
06-07-2007, 10:03 AM
I encourage you to contact the seller and explain that you did what she suggested about feedind and now the snake has passed away. She should offer some type of restitution.

angel0heart
06-07-2007, 11:50 PM
I didn't get aiko from a breeder, just a lady that had her and needed a home for her. She says that I must not have left the light on 24/7 as she said. Oh well.

However, I took the snake to the vet tech school that my friend attends, and the vet there said the snake was way too thin and should've been able to eat fuzzies long before now. He said it wasn't my fault at all! Thank goodness.

My friend felt bad for me and we went to a reputable cornsnake breeder she knows and he gave me a baby cornsnake and said it's classified as a candy cane. He gave me tons of information for it, so I know what to do for her!!! Her name is candy now! LoL

Thanks to everyone for the concerns and everything!

angel heart

kathylove
06-08-2007, 01:48 AM
I don't know if the breeder mentioned it with the new snake, but do not keep lights on 24/7 as the first person told you. Your snake needs a photoperiod and a chance to rest without lights. If you do use extra lighting on your cage, it is usually best to have them turn on when the sun comes up and go off at sunset. Then they will experience seasonal change.

Good luck on your new pet!

MegF.
06-08-2007, 07:03 PM
Did you turn off the infrared light at night? It might drop the temps too much, but it does sound as if the snake was already in trouble when you got it.

sargeoif
06-08-2007, 09:05 PM
I wuldn't use lights anyway under tank heaters work much better.

Okeetee_Corn_Snakes
06-09-2007, 04:36 AM
I am sorry to hear about your loss and don't blame yourself. Sounds as if this was something that had been going on for sometime.

I am glad you hear about your new corn though and I hope you continue to research in this forum. Its very usefull and people are always willing to help!