• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Why hasn't he shed?

Maize411

Hooked for life!!
I've had Striker now for 2 months..Maize has already gone through 2 or 3 sheds since I've had striker..But Striker has yet to go through a shed with me..I've searched his tank to see if maybe I missed the shed..but there was no skin there..I don't know why he hasn't shed...Am I not feeding him enough? He's getting one adult mouse every 6 days, I spray the tank as often as I spray Maize's tanik..both their settings are exactly the same..I'm not sure how much he weighs..he won't stay still for a minute on the scale..Maybe I need to start giving him 2 mice? I know he is over 2 feet long..What do you guys think? Well hope to hear some opinions soon..thanks..I'm getting a bit worried..

Don;t worry. they shed when they need to. As they get older they don't shed as often so once every 2-3 months is fine.

As long as the mouse is giving him a good lump when he eats, I wouldn't up his feed anymore. dawnrenee is right about how often they shed. But you might want to take a fecal sample in just to be sure. A parasite problem could stunt growth. And its just good practice to have them check out every once in a while.

JS

When i weigh Flakes I put a container on the scale and note the weight of it. i then place Flakes in the container and weigh then just take away the weight of the container and you will have stickers weight. Hope this will help you to weigh him hun.

not alarm you, but is your snake still young? if so i wold take a feces sample to the vet, because some times, when a snake doesn't shed that often, it can be from internal parasites stunting the growth, this happened to one of mine, she only shed every 3 months (only had two sheds with me until she died) but all th others i got at the same time outgrew he, she was eating normally and fine, just didn't gain weight, then regurged once, i left it 14 days, if she was to regurge again, i would of taken her to a vet, but she died before that 14 days was up, i would recommend a feces check, just to be on the safe side

Thank you everyone..Next time I do a spot check in his tank I'll save some of his...leftovers and I'll get it checked out..I hope he's okay :0)

I would not recommend a vet visit. For this non-issue, it's a waste of time, a waste of money, and a source of possible stress. Your snake is fine. As Dawn wrote, he will shed when he needs to. :)

yes, but if you read what i wrote, i had one die from internal parasites, i thought she was a slow grower, but apparently not, she wasn't growing and shedding regularly, because the worms were stunting her growth, in my opinion, better to be safe than sorry

your_only_nightmare said:
yes, but if you read what i wrote, i had one die from internal parasites, i thought she was a slow grower, but apparently not, she wasn't growing and shedding regularly, because the worms were stunting her growth, in my opinion, better to be safe than sorry
I read what you wrote. Maybe you should have read the original question better. The original poster said that the snake was eating an adult mouse every six days. By the time a corn is eating adults, its shed frequency is usually less than 1 shed every two months. If you had read the original post better, you'd also remember that the OP has only had the snake for two months. Do you see cause for alarm? I don't. It's easy to say "better safe than sorry" when you're advising other people to throw their money away.

:-offtopic Your sig line needs to be fixed. It shouldn't exceed four lines, including blanks. Thanks.

My adult corn sheds once every two months. Sometimes it stretches out to nearly three months.

I don't think your snake not having shed in two months is an issue, but I bet if you did a fecal, you'd find worms, because I think it's quite likely that any animal that eats raw other animals has worms. Out of the four of mine I checked, (two WC, two CB) four had worms. Then I quit checking because I was going broke, and the remaining three are all two or younger. I'll check them at a future date. It will also be interesting to see if they get worms again. Everyone gets FT, except Jake who likes FK, so there's a possible reinfection source.

Nanci

dawnrenee2000 said:
Don;t worry. they shed when they need to. As they get older they don't shed as often so once every 2-3 months is fine.

Well, Umm..I still stick to what I said to begin with. If your snake acts sick then seek treatment, if he simply doesn't shed when you think he does and you have only had him 2 months, then you just need a little more time to get to know your snake and how he does things. It was good of you to ask, but as I said , don't worry, just enjoy your animal.

I am enjoying him and for the sake of wanting to enjoy him for years to come is the reason I come here and ask these questions...I didn't know snakes stop shedding so much as they grow..(new lesson learned)...I guess I'll just give him another month or so..but after 5 months if I don't see a shed..I'm taking a test...I just love him and would hate to see him die from something that could have been prevented..thank you everyone for your advice..I'm going to follow Roy and Nanci on this one...both have always given me great advice..but so have all the rest of you as well..We'll just see what happens..I'll keep you guys posted...thanks

Back