PDA

View Full Version : Very sick snake

Very sick snake

Irene Adler
03-11-2003, 02:56 PM
Hi, I have a 4 year old corn snake named "Lucy" who lives in my classroom. Over the last few months, she's developed black grungy stuff on her snout. I briefly tried to rub it off, but she wasn't happy about it, and it really stressed her out. Her mouth is swollen open, and she wheezes on occasion.

I've tried disinfecting her cage and changing the litter, and it hasn't helped. She tried to eat a mouse two days ago, but only got it halfway in her mouth before she spit it up. I'm going to try again today. If she eats, I'm going to remove the litter (after she poops), re-disinfect the cage, and put down just newspaper for while.

She has a warm lamp on her 24 hours a day now, that she seems to enjoy, and an under-cage warming pad. I never see her soaking in her water dish, so I'm wondering if it is the right kind.

She had a bad shed last week, and her head is still covered in old scales. They must be uncomfortable, but I don't know how to remove them without causing her further distress.

Please help--I don't know what to do, and I can't afford a vet.

13mur 6
03-11-2003, 06:27 PM
Ack, sounds like mouth rot + respiratory infection. Sorry to say, but I don't think you can save that snake unless you take it to a vet and get it on antibiotics right away.

-13mur 6

pinatamonkey
03-11-2003, 11:24 PM
Vets: http://www.arav.org/
http://www.herpvetconnection.com/

Being able to take your animal to a vet when necessary is part of the cost of having a pet.

If the snake does have mouth rot, it is very important to get it treated, especially since you say it's been there for months! Mouth rot can spread infection to the jaw bones and further and become very serious.

here's a page about mouth rot, it was written for pythons/boas but it gives an overview of the problem and treatment.
http://www.pythons.net/mouthrot.html

These are pics of an iguana with mouthrot
http://www.angelfire.com/al/repticare2/page15.html

bmm
03-11-2003, 11:31 PM
I agree with everyone else. If you can't afford health care for the life of the snake, shouldn't have the snake. It sounds harsh but its true. Example;;; If you can't afford car repairs you don't have a car, if you can't help this snake you shouldn't keep it. :(

This is not likely a condition that is at a point that it could heal itself. At some points you can take care of these issues at home but at the point you are at (i.e. not eating, spitting out, old shed, actual black stuff) the vet is an almost must. It will most likely be under 100 dollars if you go to the right vet, as the drugs for mouth rot are fairly cheap and the condition should be very easy to diagnose.

If you don't take her she will either A. Die eventually after lots of discomfort and inhumaine pain B. Slug on through a couple more months or even years of life with this condition although thats doubtful, but I have heard of worse cases...its also VERY inhumane...or C. she will have a miracle and heal herself.

A and B are very likely to happen....C is not. And to let something die for something easily (most of the time) cured as mouthrot is just too sad.

I hope things will start getting better and a vet trip goes well! let us know!

bmm

Irene Adler
03-12-2003, 10:06 AM
Lucy is going to the vet on Thursday morning. I'll keep you posted.

To answer the question about owning an animal I can't afford to treat for illness---three years ago I could afford a hundred bucks to take her to the vet. This year, I can't. But I've gotten some donations recently that should pay for her recovery.

CowBoyWay
03-12-2003, 12:28 PM
and the vet is not an option.

I sympathize with you for being in a position where you want to do the right thing, but it's not possible without chancing going homeless or car repo'ed, the kids won't get to eat, whatever your case may be :)

Most problems in life tend to go away if you can throw money at the problem.

I too have been in the position of not
being able to afford veterinary health care, (human health care too)
it doesn't make you a bad person, but it does officially qualify you as currently poor.

Financial decisions, like it or not, is a stone cold reality when comes to animal husbandry treatment decisions.

I have had to "put down" more than one beloved best friend of a dog because of severe health problems that developed later in life.
Quality of life becomes the issue.
I could afford to take good care of them right up to point where all of sudden they'll now be needing a thousand or two for testing and the surgery and on and on...they may or may not recover, no promises but we'll try,what was your limit on that card again....
It breaks your heart everytime but the raising/keeping of livestock demands cold, hard, distasteful, reality based, economic decisions sometimes.

Perhaps theres a local reptile club/ rescue may be able to help you with, especially since this snake is used apparently for education, they just may be in the position to help you out, possibly they may have contacts for vets that would either not charge or charge very little for supplies.

I'm sorry we aren't much help to you.

We do have a search feature on this site that may help you possibly find information that will help you with decisions you need to make.

By the way, Welcome to the CORNSNAKES.COM forums.

Snakes subjected to improper temps. is a common boo-boo, inadvertently allowing a snake to become chilled can many times stimulate/initiate a respiratory infection.
Is your heat set up on 24/7?
A minimum/ maximum thermometer can be invaluable in determining lowest night time temperatures and peak daytime temps., as they really do vary a lot from season to season.

You are probably in need of a "Wonder Drug", such as antibiotics, at this point, because of the advanced progressed nature of the illness.

Miracles can and do happen, sometimes they need a little help before they can occur though.

Online Veterinary supply companies do sell wonder drugs direct for animal usage but a certain expertise/ background with precise injection technique and knowlege of snake physiology as well as an actual third hand, would be highly desirable, I would think ;)

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5037

Irene Adler
03-14-2003, 11:36 AM
Lucy's Trip to the Vet,

The vet says that she does not have "mouth rot" per se, but that she has a mouth scales infection related to bad sheds. The black skin on her mouth was dead skin underneath skin that hadn't shed properly. She also doesn't have a respiratory infection. She's getting Baytril injections for 10 days (Yikes!) and betadine swabs until the infection goes away. And she is underweight, which is the underlying cause. Her mouth won't be pretty, but it should heal just fine, and won't affect her feeding.

So, I'm giving my snake injections. Whew.

I also need to increase the temperature in her cage--so how hot is too hot?

Thanks for your support. Vet bill came to over $100, which was paid for when my students took up a collection. Often, children will surprise you.

CornCrazy
03-21-2003, 06:29 AM
I am glad that your snake doesn't have mouth rot. If she has been having bad sheds over the last several months, then I would give her a humid hide from now on. Take a butter bowl or other size appropriate container with a lid and cut a hole in the top or side. Make sure the hole doesn't have any sharp edges. Put damp paper towels or sphagnum moss in it. This will help her shed.

Good luck!

limey
03-21-2003, 06:49 AM
if she fighting infection and eating some people reckon you can go as hot as 90f sounds a littel to much to me so go for 85 f round the clock till shes better then you can simulate day and night again, at least thats what i would do. Hope she gets well soon

Irene Adler
03-21-2003, 10:58 AM
Lucy is on day 7 of her ten days of antibiotics. She is not enjoying the shots, but she just shed yesterday and all the ugly black stuff came off. She is missing some mouth area scales, which give her a permanent smile. Her mouth isn't all red anymore, but still looks a bit swollen. I've had her cage around 85 in the daytime, and around 72 at night. Her shed wasn't all that great, so I'm going to have to soak her in some warm water today, but she's definitely improving.

I'll try the humid hide--thanks