PDA

View Full Version : shedding?

shedding?

macfisto
03-12-2003, 01:21 AM
I think my new corn snake is getting ready to shed. His eyes are blue/cloudy. He also seems more afraid of things such as me opening up the tank. Is this normal? Is it true not to handle corns while they are shedding? How about feeding during this time?
Thanx.

kenster
03-12-2003, 01:36 AM
It sounds like a shed is in the near future. To help in the process you may want to give your little guy/girl a luke warm water bath. As for eating it depends on the snake. I have some that will never turn down a meal while in shed. And others will not touch a mouse while they are in shed. You can still handle them but they are more likely to strike as they can't really see what is going on. Oh yeah the eyes will sometimes go back to normal then they will shed within a few days. The bath just helps that process along. Just make sure all the old skin comes off, if it doesn't once again it becomes bath time.

Hope this helps....

Ken

fateamber
03-12-2003, 10:46 AM
Sounds like shedding to me. I usually handle Akasha when she is shedding and it never seems to bother her so i think it should be okay to handle him/her.

13mur 6
03-12-2003, 02:35 PM
Again, allow me to emphasize the fact that all snakes are different (just like people). Your snake may or may not allow you to handle him/her during the shedding process (also, don't take it that simply because the snake allows you to handle it during shedding that it likes being handled. Shedding is an extremely uncomfortable time for a snake.). It is also recommended that you do not disturb the snake during this critical time since stress can cause anything from regurges to incomplete sheds.

Also, some snakes don't like baths, only two of the corns I own like water, the other one hates water. So instead of giving her a bath, I give her a coolwhip tub full of damp paper towels (just cut a hole in the side and put the lid on), and she usually curls up in there until she's ready to shed, or whenever she feels the need for more moisture.

Just give the lil guy/gal some time and moisture, he/she'll be bright and shiny when it's all over.

-13mur 6

macfisto
03-14-2003, 01:13 PM
2 days ago his eyes cleared up so i guess he is ready to shed his skin. How long does it typically take? I heard it takes about a couple of days after their eyes clear up. Thanks again!!

CowBoyWay
03-14-2003, 03:33 PM
The search tab at the top of the page will give you some pretty quick answers to likely to have been asked questions. :)

You'll quickly gain Corn Snake relative knowlege around here, if you do some "posts from the past" type reading.:)

Try varying you search terms to find a relative past post that may cover your question, if it's not covered , or not elaborate enough of an answer for your needs, (still got questions),...ask away. Once again welcome to the forums

:D

clumsly
06-30-2003, 04:38 PM
about the feeding it depends on the snake. some will eat during the shes and some wont.`

Scorpionking
07-01-2003, 09:37 AM
Why you is answering old posting... That is really annoying. I came to the forum to find learn more and try to help others with my experience and I never read one single posting yours that make any sense, you simple copy answers that others already wrote., or answer postings over months old. Please someone should do something? Because I am not the only one being bother for his answers, or should I said copy answers, is everyone.

Sorry everyone, I did mean to be rude but is get really @#$#@$%.