PDA

View Full Version : Ill snake but has anyone seen similar

Ill snake but has anyone seen similar

limey
03-14-2003, 04:36 AM
i have a LARGE female miami which i bought about a 2months ago i noticed slight enlargment of the throat directly behind the head a few days after i got her home and fed her. This symptom continued and her breathing looked laboured liek she was trying to take in a huge amount of air in one go, almsot the reverse of when a snake reguretates it food. so i decided to set up a nice warm enclosure for her and heat her to about 85f just in case since then she hasn't improved, the very scary thing is i noticed a fair amount of blood in her cage i cant honestly say whcih end it is coming from but i am pretty certain that its the head end , i havent noticed any legions in the mouth or any discoloration, and she is still eating although very small prey such as small fluffs and pinkies. The puffing up behind the head seems to be getting worse alhtough it is connected to her breathing but there is little or rasping and no mucus. I realise this snake needs a vet but in england there are VERY few vets who know what to do. Is there anyone who has had a similar problem and knows the name of the anitbiotics
Thanks

limey
03-17-2003, 05:49 AM
Unfortunatley this snake has died. I took her to the vets and we had a good examination of her. the strnagest thing was she was bleeding from the mouth (although the wound was not int he mouth or even visible from the head end) and the blood was coagulating in fact is was much like a haemophiliac would have bled, which was very strange (so i am told by the vet - i have kept reptile for about 20 years and never seen one bleed continously) we tried some vit k and baytril but she died a day later. i would still like to know what happenend to my snake, i am even thinking that she could have ingested some wood chip nad that killed her by scracthig the inside of here osphegus ? what do you people think ? does any one know off anyting similar any response would be greatly apprieciated
Thanks

carol
03-17-2003, 11:51 AM
I am sorry to hear that. Sometimes when a corn is trying to get over a respiratory infection, the mucus will start to dryout and crystalize in thier lungs. This can be pretty abrasive and scratch thier windpipe when they attempt to expel it. Often times when they do get it out, they then swallow it and it scratches thier throat as well. It really does sound like she was in poor shape when you got her. I don't know if there was anything else that could have been done.

TrineonX
03-17-2003, 06:11 PM
Tumor?