PDA

View Full Version : mouth rot

mouth rot

Sunny-Delight
06-17-2007, 02:28 AM
So I'm reasonably sure my friends anery has mouthrot. She is constantly on the move in her cage and pushes her nose around, and today we saw that her mouth is partly open. There appears to be a white substance in there, along with a couple small brown scabs. Does anyone have any advice on how to hold the snake to apply the peroxide/betadine solution? This is an adult anery, and is very squirmy :) I will get pics tomorrow, providing I can manage to hold the snake still enough to snap a photo.

MegF.
06-17-2007, 08:11 AM
You'll need to secure her body under your arm or have a helper hold her. I would stay away from peroxide. It is very destructive to tissue. A weak betadine (the color of weak tea) or a diluted chlorhexidrine solution is a better idea. You'll have to hold the head firmly and open the mouth with a q-tip and use another swab to thoroughly clean the area. If you don't see any improvement within a few days, or it gets worse, you really need to see a vet for anti-biotics. Mouth rot can lead to R.I. or osteomyelitis. Both can kill your snake.

classdwhite
06-17-2007, 02:27 PM
i recently purchased a carpet python with mouthrot so while i dont really have any info or anything to help you, all i can say is im sorry and i hope it turns out better than what i am dealing with.

ixcounterfeitxi
06-18-2007, 09:53 AM
i recently purchased a carpet python with mouthrot so while i dont really have any info or anything to help you, all i can say is im sorry and i hope it turns out better than what i am dealing with.
Did you ever end up clearing up it's Mouth Rot?

I assume you didnt know it had MR when you bought it, right?

Logan'sMom
06-29-2007, 06:13 PM
hey this is the owner of the anery in question. does mouth rot ever go away on its own? i was waiting for her to poop before starting treatment cause i didnt want to be pooped on and she shed in the meantime. now her mouth is closed and looks perfectly fine when i open it....

MegF.
06-29-2007, 07:03 PM
Not usually. Perhaps it was just crud before shed, and maybe she had some substrate or something there. Good news!