PDA

View Full Version : Mites- what do you look for?

Mites- what do you look for?

Hypancistrus
06-20-2007, 09:43 PM
How do you know if a reptile (snake or lizard) has mites before you buy it? What should you look for? I am considering adding to my collection this year and wouldn't want to bring mites home with me. I would, of course, quarantine, but I have heard that that is limited in effectiveness with regards to mites.

sargeoif
06-21-2007, 01:54 AM
Mites are these little dark bugs about the size of a pen head, you can see them crawling around the snakes skin and sometimes see them in and around the eyes and mouth. Some people say that you'll sometimes see them in the water as little dark specs.

Ginafish
06-21-2007, 02:04 AM
One thing to be noted is that, within certain substrates (I've heard with Repti-bed and some other moist types) there can be wood mites, which aren't harmful to your snake, but can be a bother nonetheless. These mites are usually a pale color and will not be found concentrated on the snake itself, but rather in the substrate.

Plissken
06-21-2007, 02:16 AM
If you can, have a look in the water bowl that was with the snake. If mites are present one of the first places you will see them is drowned at the bottom of the bowl. They look like specs of black pepper.

And if you're looking on the snake itself, concentrate your efforts on 'crevices' of the snake as mites tend to congregate there. Look closely around the head and eyes, and in the groove beneath the chin. Also check your hands after handling, and examine them for any mites crawling about.

Mites can be quite hard to spot. I once spent a whole month consistantly going back to look at a snake I wanted and handling it over and over again. I didn't see a single mite. I brought him home, and the next day I found mites. I was livid. :rolleyes:

Okeetee_Corn_Snakes
06-22-2007, 01:40 AM
Plissken, I do not blame you for being livid. I checked my friends snake over and over and no mites...when we get her home there are mites in her mouth...I was very upset. On a good note..I think we got rid of them, but I am not uncrossing my fingers until its for sure. We just used simple elbow grease. Bathing and completely cleaning out her cage, boiling everything. She is on a very simple set up now until its for sure.

Hypancistrus, I hope whomever you add to your collection is mite free!

Hypancistrus
06-23-2007, 10:58 AM
THanks for the advice. Out of curiosity, do snakes and lizards get the same kind of mite, or are there different species of mite for different types of reptiles?