PDA

View Full Version : Normal corn, het for what?

Normal corn, het for what?

gekko1
05-01-2002, 08:56 PM
so i have a normal male corn and want to breed him with the end result not being normal babies. what morph corn should i try? i thought maybe an oketee or amel. which morph trait do you think is most common in corns that i should try? thanks.

Khaman
05-02-2002, 12:35 AM
Breed to a snow it has both of the most common traits Amel and Anery

gekko1
05-02-2002, 12:47 AM
are snows and albinos the same?

Kevin M
05-02-2002, 03:17 AM
No. For the most part when an albino is mentioned people mean an Amelanistic. If you wanted to get technical though there are 2 corn albinos out there. the "Red Albino" (Amel) & "Black Albino" (Anery). But in short. No, A Snow and albino are not the same.)

jim
05-02-2002, 06:56 AM
gekko, you need widgets!!! lol... check out serpwidgets site. i'll warn you though, there is alot to learn on that site, but will probably explain better than anyone here in a short post can possibly begin to. lots of good info!!! ---jim

gekko1
05-02-2002, 10:47 AM
so a snow is a corn lacking amel and anery, basicaly a white canvas? so if i breed my normal corn with the snow i should have normal babies with het for snow unless my normal corn is het for amel or anery, which will show in the babies? what about a hypo snow, what is hypo exactly?

CornsnakeKeeper
05-02-2002, 12:15 PM
A snow lacks red and black pigment therfore it is a combination of Amel (which lacks black) and Anery (which lacks red). So, they are white and will usually take on a yellowish colored tone.

Normals most commonly carry the gene for anery or amel so if you breed a snow to it, you will have a chance at getting either amels or anerys. Whichever he's het for. This is only if he is het though.

No one I know produces hypo snows exept for Mikes Motleys. Not even sure if he still has those, though.

Good luck!

Darin Chappell
05-02-2002, 03:11 PM
Hypos are those snakes that have a reduction of black in their coloration. The word "hypomelanism" means literally "under black," referring to the reducing of the melanin levels shown. The same greek word "hypo" is used in the name "hypodermic," which describes those needles that go "under the skin."

Therefore, I am not certain what benefit a hypo snow would produce. A reduced black effect on an animal that has no black? I know that it may very well reduce the width of the markings on the animal that would have been black on a normally colored specimen, but is that really something to seek? Maybe for some, but I doubt I'd be much interested.

Darin

CornsnakeKeeper
05-02-2002, 06:08 PM
Here's a link to the picture of the Hypo Motley that I mentioned from Mike's Motleys. Appears to just have intensified the yellow. very awesome snake although I don't think he still has it.

http://www.mikesmotleys.com/htm/pages/snow_hypo.htm

gekko1
05-02-2002, 09:34 PM
i figured on getting snow if not a hypo snow for my male. i figure i'm gonna get normal babies regardless so maybe my male is het for amel or anery and i'll get a surprise. thanks alot people.

Matt L
05-02-2002, 10:43 PM
What Jim said! check out Serps site! take your time and read it all---He has done an excellent job explaining genetics.>>>>>>>>>>>>>http://www.serpwidgets.com/cornsnakes/default.html

Serpwidgets
05-04-2002, 02:48 AM
Therefore, I am not certain what benefit a hypo snow would produce.

I'm not sure if the phenotype would be any different, but some people love the idea of producing as many morphs as possible from one clutch. Breeding a hypo snow to a triple het (or a hypo het for snow, etc.) would make for a good variety of hypos, amels, anerys, ghosts, snows, and maybe (hypo amel) sunglows. :)