PDA

View Full Version : Hoppers are not an option for me.

Hoppers are not an option for me.

Corny Noob
06-28-2007, 10:18 AM
Being a paranoid android again. I just wanted to get reassurance that feeding Nagini multiple fuzzies untill she's up to Mooses is going to be ok.

Matthew
06-28-2007, 10:54 AM
Did I miss something? How come Hoppers aren't an option? :shrugs:

I see very little problem in feeding multiple fuzzies, though, aside from the slightly extra cost. Fuzzies aren't quite up-to-par nutritionally wise (afaik) that a Hopper would be, but they're plenty nutritious enough.

The only thing that might be not-so-good, is you might see slightly lesser growth rates out of Nagini, even though you'd be providing (gram for gram) the same amount of food, than if you'd feed hoppers.

I'm not 100% sure about that, but I know that Tootse gains weight far better when she gets a single large meal, as opposed to multiple smaller ones. I noticed in both from switching from pinks to fuzzies, then fuzzies to hoppers.

Corny Noob
06-28-2007, 11:00 AM
They don't exist in my area, that's why they're not an option, heh.

Matthew
06-28-2007, 11:06 AM
Of course. That'd have made perfect sense. Must have been why the thought never crossed my mind, eh?

Weird though...do you have small adults/weanlings by any chance? I know around here most of the places who sell frozen label hoppers as small adults or weanlings (typically around the 14-16g mark).

Seems odd they'd only have pinks, fuzzies, and adults? :eek1:

Corny Noob
06-28-2007, 11:42 AM
We get our supplies at petco from Gourmet Rodent, and while they offer the sizes I need we only get 1pk pinkies 3 pk pinkies 1pk fuzzies 3 pk fuzzies 1pk adults 3pk adults.
And then we have various sizes of rats too. But I don't even think we have rat pups only "small rats" whatever that means.

Eremita
06-28-2007, 12:56 PM
Same boat here. Clyde's just hitting the two-fuzzy mark so I'm about to start worrying about that. I haven't seen any hoppers in stores here, and it's difficult to justify a shipment for one yearling corn.

If there were more New Yorkers here I'd try to split an order, but the last time an offer came up I was in a different borough and had practically nothing for freezer space...

-Sean

Cuddles
06-28-2007, 12:58 PM
Order them online? I just moved Nibbs up to hoppers. He has been A LOT! more active, its actually kind of nice. He also seems really long, able to extend the length of his 10 gal enclosure and touch both sides. I think it may be time to get a bigger tank :)

Corny Noob
06-28-2007, 01:01 PM
Yes but I only have one snake, so paying for like 100 hoppers with like $35 just in shipping isn't really economical for me.

edit: Not to mention I don't have the freezer room for 100 of anything. I'm currently storing my mice in a 15cup container.

Plissken
06-28-2007, 01:11 PM
I don't see a problem with multiple prey items, if the snake can handle it why not? I used to feed two fuzzies when Connor was on those, and he took 2 and even 3 pinkies on occasion too. Now he's on adult mice, but a couple in my latest batch are a tad small so I'm thinking of doubling those up too.

Especially if there's no or little lump from the first fuzzy, I don't think you'll have much of a problem.

Cuddles
06-28-2007, 01:14 PM
I thought it was always best to feed one prey item? :shrugs: Even though more isnt awful to do or anything, just better with one.

Plissken
06-28-2007, 01:30 PM
Not if that prey item is too small. :shrugs: I do prefer to feed one appropriately sized item, but when you've got mice to use up before you can get to the shop again, I'm sure not going to waste them.

And judging by the growth Connor has put on since I got him, he's not complaining either. ;)

antsterr
06-29-2007, 01:32 PM
You'll be feeding truck loads of fuzzies before you're snake will be up to size to eat mooses let alone a single moose. Could I suggest adult mice instead? :grin01:

Beothon Lover
06-30-2007, 06:01 AM
you could try http://www.aikenfeederfood.com their prices aren't bad and they have packs of 25 mice per bag instead of 100.

Corny Noob
06-30-2007, 10:07 AM
You'll be feeding truck loads of fuzzies before you're snake will be up to size to eat mooses let alone a single moose. Could I suggest adult mice instead? :grin01:

I've been around Elle too much with her talk of Mooses it's rubbing off :crazy02:

Hmmm it'd be about $22.50 for me to get 25 hoppers. So now the question is, is that cheaper than feeding her double fuzzies/fuzzies plus some pinks?

griffinej5
06-30-2007, 11:49 PM
I started feeding double small fuzzies today, because my snake hit 49g when I weighed her yesterday. I can't get hoppers either. I'm hiding the snake from my mom, so I can't keep packs of mice around. It's not really worth it for one snake either, because she grows too fast. She's up 20g from a month and a half ago.
Anyway, I picked up a pack of small mice at petco. In the pack, I got 3 mice that were 8g, so they'd be considered fuzzies on the Munson Plan. The other three in the pack were 12, 13, and 14 grams. So, i've got one big hopper, one in between hopper and weaned mouse, and a weaned mouse, and some time before I think I can use those. I'm really tempted to open the packs, pick the smaller ones, and switch them in to my pack.